Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The Senior Data Scientist is a Manager level role in the Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) team and positioned within the Visa Consulting & Analytics (VCA) business unit. VCA primarily provides data driven consulting services to Visa clients globally. We are seeking an innovative and analytical thinker to execute on our data-driven strategies for the SSA sub-region. As a Senior Data Scientist, you are expected to participate in business development, develop descriptive analytics, predictive and prescriptive models and develop context-based proto-types and high impact storyboards to promote a data-driven strategy and solutioning approach for the company and our clients. The role does not currently have any direct reports or line management responsibility.
- Conducting transactional data analysis and developing advanced statistical models within our distributed computing environment using big data technologies for internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Identify strategic and tactical innovation opportunities around data and data-related processes that will promote fact-based decisioning processes and scalable solutions.
- Execute and support the strategic direction and the roadmap for the Data Science group in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Work with regional and global Data Science teams to develop high-quality analytic products and solutions that promote growth and business development for the region
- Contribute to keeping us at the forefront of technical advancement in Data Science by using cutting-edge tools and techniques for generating business insights
- Develop next-generation analytic methods where existing techniques are not adequate to address business challenges
- Collaborate with technology partners to build an Analytics Technology Ecosystem that supports advanced modelling and decisioning.
- Develop, share, and build global best practices and knowledge management within the team
- Socialize innovative new ideas and approaches that are scalable and have market demand
- Communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences including developing and delivering effective client presentations.
- Minimum of 5+ years of analytics expertise in applying statistical solutions to business problems
- Post-graduate degree (Masters or PhD would be an advantage) in a Quantitative field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Experience working in one or more of the Card Payments markets around the globe is an advantage
- Good understanding of the Payments and Banking Industry including aspects such as consumer credit, consumer debit, prepaid, small business, commercial, co-branded and merchants.
- Good knowledge of data, market intelligence, business intelligence, and AI-driven tools and technologies
- Experience planning, organizing, and executing multiple projects with diverse cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate new techniques to solve business problems
- Demonstrated resource planning and delivery skills
- Expertise in distributed computing environments / big data platforms (Hadoop, Elasticsearch, etc.) as well as common database systems and value stores (SQL, Hive, HBase, etc.)
- Ability to write scratch MapReduce jobs and fluency with Spark frameworks
- Familiarity with both common computing environments (e.g. Linux, Shell Scripting) and commonly-used IDE’s (Jupyter Notebooks); proficiency in SAS technologies and techniques
- Strong programming ability in different programming languages such as Python, R, Scala, Java, Matlab, C++, and SQL
- Familiarity with solution architecture frameworks that rely on API’s and microservices
- Familiarity with common data modeling approaches, and ability to work with various datatypes including JSON, XML, etc.
- Ability to build data pipelines (e.g. ETL, data preparation, data aggregation and analysis) using tools such as NiFi, Sqoop, Ab Initio; familiarity with data lineage processes and schema management tools such as Avro
- Proficient in some or all of the following techniques: Linear & Logistic Regression, Decision Trees, Random Forests, K-Nearest Neighbors, Markov Chain Monte Carlo, Gibbs Sampling, Evolutionary Algorithms (e.g. Genetic Algorithms, Genetic Programming), Support Vector Machines, Neural Networks, etc.
- Expert knowledge of advanced data mining and statistical modeling techniques, including Predictive modeling (e.g., binomial and multinomial regression, ANOVA); Classification techniques (e.g., Clustering, Principal Component Analysis, factor analysis); Decision Tree techniques (e.g., CART, CHAID)
- Deliver results within committed scope, timeline and budget
- Very strong project management skills and experience
- Results-oriented with strong problem solving skills and demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor
- Good business acumen with a trackrecord in solving business problems through data-driven quantitative methodologies. Experience in payment, retail banking, or retail merchant industries is preferred
- Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style
- Very detailed oriented, is expected to ensure highest level of quality/rigor in reports and data analysis
- Proven skills in translating analytics output to actionable recommendations and delivery
- Experience in presenting ideas and analysis to stakeholders whilst tailoring data-driven results to various audience levels
- Exhibits intellectual curiosity and a desire for continuous learning
- Demonstrates integrity, maturity and a constructive approach to business challenges
- Role model for the organization in showcasing core Visa Values
- Respect for the Individuals at all levels in the workplace
- Strive for Excellence and extraordinary results
- Use sound insights and judgments to make informed decisions in line with business strategy and needs
- Leadership skills include an ability to allocate tasks and resources across multiple lines of businesses and geographies. Leadership extends to ability to influence senior management within and outside Analytics groups
- Ability to successfully persuade/influence internal stakeholders for building best-in-class solutions
- Change management leadership
Ability to travel within CEMEA Region on short notice once the COVID situation has improved