Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Code for Africa (CfA) has immediate vacancies for two Copy Editors with editorial experience and excellent proofreading skills to join our PesaCheck team to work in-country (Kenya) and/or remotely (Uganda, Tanzania).
PesaCheck is a pan-African initiative incubated by Code for Africa (CfA) that researches and debunks misinformation published both online and elsewhere in more traditional media. It also tracks promises by public officials and shines a light on public finances to ensure the public is not misled.
The successful candidates will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team using digital collaboration tools to create content for a global audience and international media partners.
Required: minimum requirements include:
- Minimum of 2 years sub-editing experience in a fast-paced newsroom or in the digital journalism space
- Excellent knowledge of grammar and proper compositional practices to aid in rewriting and proofreading,
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with a strong command of English
- Rigorous research skills, commitment to accuracy and attention to detail in order to verify information on diverse topics
- The ability to work fast, creatively and accurately under pressure to deliver content that is credible, current, consistent and always factually correct
- Demonstrable ability to identify misinformation and disinformation on major social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Excellent news judgement, knowledge of current affairs and critical-thinking skills
- Strong organisational and decision-making skills
- 4+ years work experience
- Ability to work independently
- Experience in or familiarity with digital collaboration tools, including Slack, Google Drive, and Trello
- A keen understanding of how to use data for storytelling
- Experience and knowledge of digital verification techniques and tools
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with writers, editors, and project team members who work remotely and in different time zones
- Knowledge of French/Amharic would be an advantage but is not essential
Language and Location Requirements
We are looking for candidates based in the following countries and fluent in the following languages:
- Nairobi, Kenya (English)
- Uganda (English)
- Tanzania (English)
About the Role
The successful candidate will join PesaCheck’s fact-checking team. The team is responsible for checking and verifying statements and content from various sources to help the public separate fact from fiction using a range of journalistic and digital tools.
You will work closely with the editorial team, and occasionally collaborate with other team members in each of the countries where PesaCheck operates in order to verify claims from a variety of sources. The content produced will be published on pesacheck.org, and will also be syndicated with various media partners.
You will also be working to hold public figures accountable and ensure that the media is accurate in its reporting and coverage of issues of public interest. This will also require a familiarity with social media as a source of news, as well as a familiarity with news and media consumption patterns in your country.
You should have solid news judgement, and a deep knowledge of the media landscape in your country of specialisation.
You will report to the Chief Copy Editor and will work with researchers/writers/ fact checkers, design team, and other members of the PesaCheck team.
- Sub-edit, revise edit and proofread copy produced by fact checkers
- Verify facts, dates and statistics using standard references sources
- Sub-edit infographics and other visual graphics created by the design and data team
- Ensure publication standards and goals and expectations are met
- Adhere to and maintain PesaCheck’s style guide
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
How to apply:
Please fill in this form by 06 January 2021