Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Research Officer II – Laboratory Coordinator
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Officer- Laboratory Coordinator to coordinate operational activities in the laboratory facilities and provide general support to the Head of Technology.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The ILRI Bioscience facility is a shared research and capacity building biosciences facility located in Nairobi, Kenya. The facility consists of a state-of-the-art suite of biosciences platforms established to support the work of agricultural scientists through research, capacity-building and by providing research related services. The facility host various technology platforms (diagnostics, genomics, bioinformatics, mycotoxin and nutrition analysis, Vaccine platform, tissue culture and plant transformation) and specialized facilities like the, biorepository, BSL3 lab and plant growth facility among others. The facility provides a unique opportunity for scientists to network with ILRI scientists, CG centers, private sector and scientists from advanced research institutions.
- Coordinate the operational activities in the laboratory facilities to ensure smooth organization and functionality of the laboratories
- Provide support in the identification and introduction of new technologies
- Provide guidance on new equipment purchases and replacement policies
- Maintain laboratory equipment catalogues and maintenance schedules for various service providers
- Generate and maintain general lab management data and information through the LIMS (lab management information system)
- Contribute to budget preparation and management through coordination and the rationalization of capital equipment (CAPEX) budget allocations and expenditures
- Provide technical support and training to scientists on laboratory management issues
- Ensure compliance with all applicable safety regulations in conjunction with ILRI EOHS
- Ensure compliance with Good clinical laboratory practices and accreditation requirements
- Perform any other related duties as may be required
- Master’s degree in laboratory sciences, molecular biology, biotechnology or relevant field with five years relevant experience.
- Strong laboratory management skills;
- Experience working in an accredited facility is an added advantage
- Broad/specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Experience in the use and care of wide range of biosciences equipment;
- Experience training in the use of laboratory equipment;
- Knowledge of a wide range of bioscience technologies including new applications of modern biology and equipment requirements;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety, including knowledge of biosafety regulations;
- Familiarity with budget preparations and management;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to maintain excellent working relations with project leaders, scientists and technical staff;
- Strong work ethics, good organization skills, and ability to work independently.
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG 14 and it is only open to Kenyan nationals. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
How to apply:
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 4 January, 2021. The position title and reference number REF: LC/IBF/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.