Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position Title: Accountant
Reports to: Coastal Kenya Program Manager & Head of Accounts
Location: Kwale County
To ensure accurate financial accounting & reporting of the financial progress of projects, investigate variances, post expenses, and ensure that various projects billings are issued and payments made in accordance with WWF Kenya financial policies and procedures.
Roles and responsibilities
Management of Staff advances
- Prepares and verifies travel documentation and payments of staff advance and other allowances related to project activities
- Reviews staff surrenders for accuracy & completeness before posting into the organization’s accounting software
- Carry out monthly staff account reconciliation & issue staff account statements on a monthly basis
Management of accounts payables
- Review all invoices & ensure that all necessary support documentations are provided prior to posting in the accounting ledger
- Make payments to suppliers through the organization’s banking platform in accordance with WW-Kenya finance policy
- Carry out supplier reconciliation on a monthly basis and resolve any disputes within the shortest time possible
Project accounting & reporting
- Creates project accounts in the accounting system and maintain project-related records, including contracts and change orders
- Performs accurate transfer of expenses into and out of project-related accounts
- Reviews weekly timesheets for work related to project
- Verifies and approves payment vouchers, petty cash vouchers and suppliers’ invoices and account totals related to the project
- Ensures prompt and effective investigation of project variances and submit variance reports to programme Accountant
- Closes out projects accounts upon project completion
- Prepares and submits donor financial reports related to project
- Visit grant implementing partners to provide support & ensure compliance in grant spending
Petty Cash Management
- Verify all petty cash vouchers for accuracy & completeness
- Post petty cash expenses in the accounting ledger
- Prepare a monthly reconciliation of the petty cash account
- Ensure that all bank transactions are posted in the accounting ledger
- Carry out a monthly bank reconciliation within the stipulated timelines
- In conjunction with the programs team prepare a monthly cash forecast for the landscape office
- Ensure adequate cash balances for Mobile money & bank accounts
Filing & archiving
- File and archive all accounting & supporting documents appropriately
- Assist in donor, internal & external audits
- Month end reporting-participate in month end closure of accounts as assigned
- Any other duty as may be assigned
Key Skills/ Competencies
- Strong financial management, corporate risks management and capital project appraisal skills;
- Sound knowledge of donor compliance regulations;
- Exceptional customer focus,
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- Knowledge of Accounting software and (knowledge of an ERP system presents an added advantage;
- Ability to optimize operations, reduce costs, improve service quality, build new business and forge loyalty with clients, vendors and external business partners;
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively within resource and time constraints;
- Budgeting and Budget Management skills
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement strategic initiatives within the context of conservation, natural resource management, international development, and/or other related fields.
- Bachelor degree in Business field such as accounting, finance, strategic management etc.;
- CPA III
- 3 years of experience in projects finance and accounting & reporting;
- Experienced in financial budgeting and strategy; business evaluation and advice, risk management and corporate governance, managed statutory requirements¸ financial accounting and reporting;
Internal: interacts with the Executive Director, Chief Finance Officer, Heads of Departments, Finance & Operations staff and All WWF Kenya staff.
External: Interacts with Regional WWF Staff, WWF Network, Government Ministries and department, Civil Society Organizations, Service Providers and suppliers, Regulatory Bodies and Other Conservation Agencies
This job description covers the main tasks and responsibilities and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated to be undertaken proactively. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
Kindly apply with your CV and cover letter as one file with the Job Title of Position Applied for on the subject line to the HR & Administration Manager, WWF-Kenya: email@example.com to be received not later than 23rd December 2020. We will not accept applications without a CV and covering letter.
Work permit restrictions may apply.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce.