Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Who We Are
Girl Effect is a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives.
Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development; a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways that they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech that we use every day, from apps that build skills, to TV dramas they explore virtual issues, to magazines written by girls.
Context of Role.
This is a global role, supporting the overall development, implementation and monitoring of organisational Safeguarding policies and practice; providing in-depth support to country Safeguarding teams to embed safeguarding throughout all our work; and working with other global teams to ensure our Safeguarding approach responds to the dynamic and evolving interventions developed across the organisation (e.g. through our digital content, our youth participation work, our research, and our marketing and communications).
Girl Effect is transitioning from having global Headquarters in London, to a networked model with hub offices in Mumbai, Nairobi, London and the US, as well as teams within the countries where we work. Over time, our global safeguarding function is transitioning out of London to Mumbai or Nairobi, to ensure a more diverse team that is closer to, and more representative of, our audiences. The post holder will work closely with the global safeguarding team in London to support this transition.
What You’ll Do
Support the development, implementation and updating of Safeguarding policies and procedures across the organisation. This includes:
- Support to implementing the Safeguarding policy across all functions and products promoting a culture where the safety of children and young people is at the heart of everything we do.
- Policy reviews as part of annual self-assessments and enhancing our policy standards.
- Develop guidance and other materials to help all staff implement safeguarding policies and procedures across all our brands, products and channels; develop and deliver training as required.
- Support functions to ensure that Girl Effect has strong measures in place to ensure digital safety, privacy and data protection, including compliance with national laws or GDPR, as required.
- Ensure reporting and response procedures are developed and followed in GE countries and products. This includes building in reporting and response procedures into our on- and off-line products, partnership agreements, develop and coordinate risk assessments, community guidelines, and conduct staff training(s).
- Ensure appropriate reporting and response procedures are in place at a country and global level and that these reflect the legal and cultural context in which teams are operating.
- Ensure that a mapping of the child protection context has been conducted in all countries of operation and that these are updated on an annual basis.
- In collaboration with in-country Safeguarding teams, build relationships and develop referral pathways with key protection and support agencies to ensure that GE provides safe and effective signposting to children and young people in need of protection.
- Ensure that confidential records of safeguarding concerns for countries and products are maintained and that appropriate follow-up is conducted.
Support to county-level Safeguarding teams:
GE has offices in Ethiopia, Malawi, India, Kenya and Tanzania.
- Provide technical backstopping and support to country level Safeguarding teams/leads to ensure the policy is adapted and delivered against;
- Provide capacity building to country Safeguarding teams/leads, ensuring they have the skills and confidence to deliver safeguarding in their respective country contexts, including digital safety, privacy and security and safe digital and offline engagement of children and young people.
- Support Safeguarding teams to conduct an annual safeguarding self-assessment and then develop a detailed work plan to address gaps and reduce organisational risk.
- Support the safeguarding teams in sharing best practice
Act as Safeguarding focal point for global products:
- Collaborate with product teams to ensure that Safeguarding is integrated in the design and delivery of activities.
- Support the development of new initiatives to ensure that safety is embedded in the design and development of new innovations.
- Ensure that product Safeguarding Focal Points apply the safeguarding policy and procedures to implementation through support and technical backstopping.
- Continue to build Girl Effect’s expertise on digital Safeguarding and embed across teams and countries.
Ensure that Girl Effect’s work is informed by, and contributes to, best practice and innovations within the sector:
- Create internal spaces for learning from practice to ensure that experience informs development and innovation.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of research, best practice and new innovations in the area of Safeguarding, particularly digital engagement, digital safety, privacy and security
- Provide best practice Safeguarding examples to the Girl Effect team
- Participate in networks and knowledge sharing forums focused on Safeguarding best practice
- Proactively seek opportunities to share GE’s learnings and innovations in the area of Safeguarding
Who You Are
- University degree in social work, social sciences or related discipline
- 5 years of relevant experience in safeguarding or child protection
- Knowledge and experience of applying child protection and Safeguarding approaches into international development programming
- Experience in developing, enhancing and/or implementing organizational Safeguarding policies and procedures in an international development organisation (regionally)
- Managerial or supervisory experience in supporting staff and partners in implementation of Safeguarding measures
- Relevant experience of women, young women and girl centred programming
- Strong interpersonal skills and awareness, particularly in cross cultural contexts/teams
- Ability to manage conflict and handle sensitive issues confidentially
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good teamwork skills
- Ability to mentor and support staff remotely and apply global policies to local contexts
What Else You Should Know
We are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact. Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our safeguarding policy. We encourage candidates to read and understand our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found here. We have zero-tolerance to all forms of violence against children, beneficiaries and staff.
This role is being recruited as a 12 month fixed term contract.
Closing date for applications: 6th January 2021