Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Job Title: Senior Field Officers
Duty location: Any of our branches of Operation in Kenya
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise providing asset and SME finance, leasing, insurance, and financial literacy to new customers and consumer finance to qualified existing customers.
It was formally established in 2012 in Uganda and is a technology-enabled asset financier of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs, using a lease-to-own product to offer an affordable path to ownership of these assets. Tugende empowers customers unable to access formal credit, and has financed over 35,000 customers.
About this Role:
We are looking for competent and motivated Senior Field Officers who can work independently with limited direction to serve as the main point of contact between Tugende and its clients within our areas of operation in Kenya. The role will be based in Kenya, with occasional travels to Uganda.
Tugende’s mission is: ‘Helping people help themselves’. As a Senior Field Officer, you will be responsible for the client’s lease approval process, from the initial class to final lease payment. The Senior Field Officer’s day-to-day responsibilities include conducting Tugende field operations e.g. vetting, managing collections, and responding to client needs.
Key duties to be performed:
The job holder will perform the following duties:
1. Client vetting and Management
- Recruit new applicants: Identify capable clients for Tugende leases.
- Register applicants: Meet with applicants to obtain information from them and answer their questions about the application process.
- Vet applicants: Conduct field visits (at applicant’s stage and home) while paired with another Field Officer.
- Analyze the strength of completed applications: Analyze applicants’ financial status, creditworthiness and outstanding leases to determine applicant qualification.
- Approve/Reject applicants: Evaluate applicant’s creditworthiness in line with the existing guidelines
- Review lease agreements to ensure that they are complete and accurate according to the Tugende Policies.
- Help deliver Motorcycles to new clients. Ensure that clients understand the key terms and conditions of Tugende, as well as the warranty and maintenance requirements, before handing over the Motorcycles.
2. Manage client needs and portfolio performance
- Collections: Manage a portfolio of clients. Regularly follow up on client repayments (on phone and in person), understand any repayment and work challenges, give recommendations or escalate problem cases where necessary. Ensure client data is accurately captured in the lease management system in a timely manner
- Customer service: Listen and attend to customer comments and inquiries, give recommendations or escalate problem cases where necessary.
- Office work: Be able to help with office work including signing contracts with clients, transferring titles for Motorcycles and processing passenger service vehicle licenses (PSVs).
- Office support: Manage motorcycle traffic outside office, and coordinate clients during applicant classes.
- Coordinate with local authorities: Engage them as required to facilitate field operations.
- Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities
- Highly self-motivated and able to demonstrate a drive for results with a professional approach from a team
- Excellent communication, presentation skills and professionally presentable
- Exhibit a passion for customers, and provide excellent customer service and empathy for our customers
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment and willing to work in rural areas in the different regions of Kenya.
- Adopt and champion the values that Tugende stands for: Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions-Oriented and Always growing
- Ability to ride a motorcycle to conduct fieldwork.
- Computer literate with ability to comfortably use MS Office and G-suits. Have at least 35 Words Per Minute.
- High level of professionalism and integrity, with good moral character
- Ability to work under minimum supervision with resilience and a ‘can do’ attitude
- Fluent in Kiswahili and at least 2 key local languages of Kenya
- Preferred Qualification:
- A minimum of a Bachelor`s degree in a business-related field from a recognized institution of learning.
- Preferred experience:
- Two years’ field based experience working with an institution or organization such as a microfinance or business credit related business
- Motorcycle riding ability is a must and gaining this proficiency will be a requirement once on the job
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant leadership potential to grow as the company and operations function grow. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Team leader, Credit / Collections Coordinator, Deputy Branch Leader, Branch Leader among others
Career Development: You will constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende by building knowledge and skills using Tugende systems, understanding of lease accounting, Improve computer skills, Learning new methods to work with clients and help them overcome repayment challenges, Stay abreast of new innovations and financial services so as to better meet customer needs, Participate in programing: Attend career development programs organized by Tugende and learn how to ride a motorcycle
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial development. Join us!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~489 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as events for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and what you see on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion startups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist.
As part of our regional expansion in East African, Kenya is now operational! Beyond geographic growth, Tugende’s future will include multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.