Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Assistant Research Officer (2) at Amref Health Africa.
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa.
Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s
vision is for lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa
by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. For more on Amref
Health Africa please visit http://www.amref.org
Amref Health Africa-Kenya, through a PEPFAR grant, is setting up a research study aimed at determining
SARS-CoV-2 seroprevalence among People Living with HIV (PLHIV) at national level and within selected
sentinel counties, using remnant viral load samples available at viral load laboratories supported by the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Main purpose of the job
This is an entry-level position into a research career, and requires strong intellectual capability, resilience,
and ability to work under significant pressure within a public institution. The Assistant Research Officer
will provide technical support to SARS-CoV-2 serology testing.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Support validation of SARS-CoV-2 ELISA testing protocols and platforms
• Perform SARS-CoV-2 ELISA tests necessary to support the serosurvey study
• Record test results in an organized and timely manner, and write summary reports
• Document all problems encountered with samples and equipment,take necessary immediate action, and forward them for further action
• Observe GCP/GCLP to ensure quality work is attained
• Ensure adequate stocks of reagents and other consumables are available, and track usage
• Maintain laboratory QC/QA in the performance of assigned duties
• Perform HIV viral load laboratory tests necessary to support diagnosis and patient monitoring on Roche c8800, Abbott M2000 platforms, Panther and related platforms
• Facilitate PT testing and other EQA schemes as recommended by the quality assurance officer
• Support KEMRI Kisumu HIV-research laboratory in maintaining ISO 15189:2012 accreditation for medical laboratories
• Ensure proper operational procedures, laboratory safety precautions and waste management
procedures are maintained and adhered to in the laboratory
• Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences (Degree in Medical Laboratory Science would be an added advantage).
• Must have trained in ISO 15189 QMS implementation
• Must have completed GCP/GCLP training
• Registered with the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board (KMLTTB)
Desired experience, skills and competencies:
• A minimum of two years’ working experience in a busy molecular diagnostics laboratory;
• Experience carrying out serological tests, PCR testing for HIV Diagnosis or Viral Load testing;
• Experience in supporting surveillance or clinical trial studies;
• Ability to work independently under pressure while at the same time adhering to strict deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written);
• ICT proficient including analytical programmes and database applications
• Excellent analytical skills, Critical thinking, presentation and problem solving skills;
• Innovative with a high degree of self-drive
• Excellent organizational skills
• Pleasant personality, flexibility, team player, ability to solve problems, work with minimal supervision
• Laboratory data and inventory management
• Ability to evaluate, verify, and edit research data.
How to apply
Interested? APPLY. You will be directed to
our online portal where you will need to create an account successfully in order for you to be able to submit
your application. Please note that you will receive an email confirmation for creation of account and an
acknowledgment email upon submitting your application.
Deadline for submission: 17th February 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and have not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.