Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Programme Manager, STH/SCH at Amref Health Africa.
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa. Working
with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is
for lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by
partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. For more on Amref
Health Africa please visit www.amref.org
Background Amref Health Africa in Kenya with the funding from the End Fund will be implementing the
schistosomiasis and soil transmitted helminths elimination project in Vihiga, Bungoma, Kakamega and
Trans-nzoia counties. This project contributes to the goals of breaking the transmission strategy which is
to safely stop Mass Drug Administration (MDA) as a result of reduced prevalence and intensity by 2023.
Main Purpose of Job
The Programme Manager, will drive and implement high Neglected Tropical diseases(NTD) programming
through the provision of technical guidance and capacity building of staff and implementing providers;
build strategic partnerships with stakeholders in the NTD sector, including donors. This leadership should
be evident through: the growth and/or development of respective technical programme, projects
performance, quality, and continued responsiveness to Amref, national and international priorities.
1. Key Area Activities – Strategic Programme Planning and Development
• Participate in strategic planning processes to successfully drive the direction
and delivery of cost-effective services and ensure objectives are met in line
with national policies and national breaking transmission strategy (BTS) goals
• In collaboration with key stakeholders, lead the development of country level
action and implementation plans to scale up soil transmitted helminthes/
schistosomiasis (STH/SCH) management, integrated mass drug
administration, WASH & BCC Initiatives and support other 3 Preventive
chemotherapy (PC) NTDs.
• Provide leadership and guidance in the mapping of NTDs in Tanzania to
ensure that prevalence trends are effectively tracked and the data collected is
used to develop integrated/co-implemented NTD programmes.
• Provide remote and in-country assistance to programme to ensure program
activities, reporting, and budgets are technically and operationally sound.
•Advise WASH/NTD Programme on best practices for implementation of NTD
program activities, including specialized evaluations to measure the impact of
program activities on various indicators.
• Actively contributing to the development, regular revision, monitoring and
evaluation of Amref overall NTD strategy.
2. Key area activity – Country Programme Management
• Provide effective management, coordination and technical advice to
support the WASH & NTD programme to deliver NTD targets through
quality service delivery.
• Support county teams to establish and maintain effective relationships
with the Ministry of Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education and county
governments and other partners in order to advance sustainable national
plans and integrate them into the existing public health delivery systems.
• Identify, develop and evaluate new approaches and tools, to support
national scale-up of STH/SCH management and mass drug
• Collaborate with the team to develop and maintain relationships with
donors, consortium partners, internal staff, and consultants to provide
quick and accurate program and financial information as needed.
• Ensure the progress of all reports for assigned portfolio is accurately
tracked to ensure timely submission of high-quality reports to donors.
• Prepare and/or finalize budget narratives for annual program budgets and
proposals. Monitor expenditures and forecasts on a monthly basis.
• Manage direct report staff and provide clear direction to team members.
3. Key area activity – Monitoring and Evaluation
• Lead on supporting country and county teams in developing a system for
monitoring and evaluating NTD programme performance.
• Develop data quality assessment tools for various NTD program activities.
• Lead in the preparation of work plans, budgets, M&E plans and
performance frameworks for the project
• Preparation of technical monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports
relating to the project as per donor requirements as well as for internal
• Lead in operations research, document and share results for advocacy in
order to influence relevant policies and practices.
• Provide leadership in the documentation of best practice models in the
Project, working with relevant departments within Amref.
• Lead the project staff to document and disseminate best practices and
• Liaise with the M&E and communications team to increase visibility of the
project and WASH & NTD as a whole.
4. Key area activity – Advocacy and Strategic Alliances
• Build and maintain meaningful working relationships with a variety of
partners and other stakeholders at National and County level in order to
strengthen opportunities for advocacy and higher visibility.
• Develop relationships with other partners to support funding and delivery
of services, including NGOs in the WASH sector
• Represent Amref at appropriate national/regional/global forums.
• Ensure NTD programme information flow is maintained across National,
County and other key partners.
• Establish and maintain partnerships and networking with relevant
stakeholders including but not limited to donors, relevant Government
Ministries and NGOs.
5.Key area activities – Partnerships and Business Development
• Provide assistance in identifying possible funding sources to support
programme delivery and work with other colleagues and partners to secure those funds.
• Work with Business development unit for new NTD project design and
• Explore in-country networks and consortia to enhance WASH & NTD
capacity for program delivery and expand funding base
• Participate in the development of new concepts and proposals for
• Participate in the development and implementation of fundraising
strategies to grow the WASH & NTD programmatic and financial portfolio.
• Maintain ongoing communication with potential partners and other key
stakeholders to identify and pursue growth opportunities
6.Key area activity – Research
• Provide direction and support to assist country research teams and help them
to identify operational research opportunities to improve the efficiency and
effectiveness of NTD elimination efforts.
• Assist project teams and MoH in disseminating information on NTD activities,
studies, research and lessons learned at County, national and international
• Work in close collaboration with Amref research unit to ensure that projects
conduct research for international peer reviewed publication.
• Work with global research team to optimize the research finding in place,
carry out new research and enhance publication of findings internally and
Required qualifications and Experience
• Minimum of Medical/Health degree and a Master’s Degree in public health or a related field.
• 8 years relevant work experience in Public Health management; 5+ years should be dedicated to
provision of program and management backstopping to donor-funded public health projects.
• Knowledge of strategic planning, administrative, and financial management systems.
• Knowledgeable about current implementation science and state-of-the-art delivery approaches.
• Prior experience with NTDs is an added advantage.
• Proven management experience in supervision of staff in cross functional teams.
• Fluency in English language required.
• Exceptional verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact effectively with others,
both internally and externally.
• Excellent time management skills, with the ability to perform multiple tasks and meet critical deadlines
while maintaining accuracy and quality.
How to apply
Click on this link to APPLY
Please visit our website www.amref.org to view the full Job description. You will be directed to
our online portal where you will need to create an account successfully in order for you to be able to submit
your application. Please note that you will receive an email confirmation for creation of account and an
acknowledgment email upon submitting your application.
Deadline for submission: 22nd February 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and have not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.