Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) is a statutory organization of the Government of Kenya established by the Standards Act, Cap 496 of the laws of Kenya in July 1974. The mandate of KEBS is to provide Standardization, Metrology and Conformity Assessment services through promotion of standardization in commerce and industry, provision of testing and calibration facilities, control of the use of standardization marks, undertaking educational work in standardization, facilitation of the implementation and practical application of standards, maintenance and dissemination of the International System of Units (SI) of measurements.
KEBS wishes to recruit innovative and result oriented individuals for the following positions.
- Corporation Secretary/Director Legal Services
The incumbent shall be responsible for management of Corporate Legal Affairs, provision of Company Secretarial services and implementation of the Mwongozo Code of Governance for State Corporations. The incumbent will also ensure effective and efficient management of contract administration, company insurance, and compliance with legal and regulatory legislation including provision of secretarial services as well as legal advice to both the NSC and management team.
Key Responsibilities / Duties / Tasks
- Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and ensures efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the Legal Services Directorate.
- Provides professional guidance to the NSC, Management and Staff on compliance with good corporate governance practices.
- Develops work plans and budgets for the Directorate for approval.
- Oversees the execution of the approved Directorate work plans and budgets.
- Oversees performance management in the Directorate.
- Prepares and submit monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for the Directorate.
- Prepares NSC management papers for approval.
- Identifies training needs for the Directorate staff.
- Participates in the development and review of the organization’s strategic plan
- Identifies procurement needs for the Directorate.
- Mentors and coaches the Directorates’ staff; and
- Participates in various committees in the organization
- Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Organizing for NSC meetings.
- Taking minutes during NSC meetings and following up on action points
- Liaising and communicating with the NSC and other stakeholders.
- Coordinating NSC evaluations, governance, and legal audits.
- Developing and reviewing NSC charters and other governance instruments.
- Enhancing good corporate governance by formulating policies and procedures relevant to the organization.
- Developing and implementing the organization’s Legal strategies.
- Drafting and reviewing the organization’s and third parties’ contracts.
- Providing legal opinions on issues affecting the organization.
- Handling litigation and disputes involving the organization.
- Liaising with the organization’s external lawyers on matters they are handling for the organization.
- Providing legal advisory services to the organization on all legally binding contracts and documents so as to ensure statutory compliance.
- Developing and managing the Directorate of legal services budget.
- Maintaining custody of all legal documents, contracts and security documentation for the organization.
- Overseeing the registration and protection of the organization’s intellectual property rights.
- Overseeing conveyance matters.
- Coaching, mentoring and managing the legal team to ensure optimal staff performance.
- Undertaking any other duties of similar level and responsibility as may be directed from time to time
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Master’s Degree in relevant field
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- Practicing Certificate from Law society of Kenya
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Diploma in legal studies
- Advocate of the High Court
- Leadership Course lasting not less than four (4) weeksManagement Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks
Previous relevant work experience required.
- At least 12 years work experience with 8 years in a Managerial role.
The Application should include attachments of; Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Copies of Academic and Professional certificates, Certificate of Good Conduct, Tax Compliance certificate, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Clearance, Credit Reference Bureau clearance and HELB Clearance certificate. The application must be submitted online via www.kebs.orgto be received on or before 5th March, 2021.
NOTE: Application forms for employment, key responsibilities and specifications are to be found on the KEBS website.
It is important to note, after successfully uploading and submitting the application, the applicant will receive a system generated email notification that the job application details have been successfully submitted. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Qualified persons with disability and female candidates are encouraged to apply.