Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Working under the mentorship and supervision of the Health Manager, the Senior Pharmacist is responsible for the running of the Hospital Medical Stores and Hospital and Clinic Pharmacies.
- Ensure effective functioning of the drug supply system in the two hospitals and 4 health clinics in the camp.
- Keeping accurate records of purchase, requisition and consumption of drugs, medical supplies.
- Ensure the hospital and health clinics have timely supply of drugs and medical items.
- Carryout regular supervision in all dispensing units.
- Raise in timely manner trimester orders as per the consumptions and according to the Essential drug list.
- Identify the less utilized and short expiry commodities and advise the prescribers accordingly.
- Ensure continuous review of the essential drug list in reference to IRC MedList & UNHCR drug list as per the dynamics of the program
- Directly supervise Pharmacist and Pharmacy Assistants (National and Refugee), drug dispensers and drug clerks
- Monitoring and supervising the medical store clerks, drug storekeepers and refugee staff to ensure all pharmaceutical ethical protocols are observed.
- Routinely supervise staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Leave management and R&R plan of all staff, while ensuring proper coverage of the Pharmacy department.
- Ensure continuous mentoring and capacity building of staff, both National and Refugee.
- Ensure timely ordering of medical and surgical supplies on a trimester basis, in line with the projected consumption and available funding; and follow up on delivery through the Supply chain department.
- Ensure right storage of all items as their specific storage requirements with cold chain tools in place.
- Ensure timely issuance of orders to various consumption units
- Carry out regular pharmacy Quality Audits in all the dispensing units as well as support supervision to all consumption units.
- Furnish the clinicians, prescribers with weekly list of available drugs and advise them on prescribing trends accordingly.
- Conduct regular check of the wards/OPD drug registers.
- Advise on any relevant Pharmaceutical issues when called upon to do so.
- Participate in continuing education for both Kenyan/refugees’ staff.
Reporting and Coordination
- Prepare and submit regular inventory reports and requisition orders in time to avoid unnecessary delays in the purchases and delivery of same items.
- Supervising drug consumption rates and making sure accurate records of the same are well kept.
- Carryout periodical quantification drugs and medical supplies’ forecasting for future periods.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Key Result Areas
- A well-functioning and effective drug supply system
- Verifiable and accurate documentation.
- Processing of monthly drug consumption reports.
- Timely processing of Trimester orders as per the Essential drug list.
- Supervision of department staff
- Continuous mentoring and capacity building of pharmacy staff.
- Degree/Diploma in Pharmacy, preferably with Technical knowledge in drug supply chain management systems and quality assurance
- Training in Supply chain is an asset.
- Registered by the Pharmacy and Poisons Board and in possession of current practicing license in Kenya
- Minimum three (3) years working experience in a Hospital set-up.
Required Experience & Proficiencies:
- Good pharmaceutical knowledge and skills
- Well skilled in health supply chain especially in resource constrained settings.
- Ability to write clear, concise reports and well developed interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, writing, and communication skills required
- Good digital literacy (Complete MS Office package and any database management and analysis)
- A good teammate, flexible and culturally sensitive.
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions with displaced communities.
- Ability to accept the possibility of insecurity in the project areas and obey security rules and standard operating procedures.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers are required to conform to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and implements policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.