Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
East Africa Administrative Associate
Acumen is seeking a highly responsible, detail oriented Administrative Associate in Nairobi, with at least 4 years’ experience and some basic accounting skills. It is critical that the applicant be exceptionally organized and thorough, can multi-task, have excellent interpersonal skills to manage different stakeholders and have a passion to create positive change in the world.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders, and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services help people living in poverty to transform their lives. To date, Acumen has positively impacted 300 million lives by investing $132M in 136 innovative, early-stage companies in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. But investment isn’t just about capital, we’ve been investing in relationships for years, connecting with emerging leaders in their own countries and engaging them in extended collective dialogue, moral inquiry, and skill building.
Acumen’s team in East Africa is small, fun and committed and the Administrative Associate’s role is to make sure that this team has the right tools and environment to do their best work. You will play a key role supporting their day to day operations, implementing and improving systems to enhance their effectiveness including event planning and visitor support. You will also be responsible for the coordination of support to external stakeholders, communications and logistical support for fundraising meetings, events and related activities as well as serving as a key liaison for communication with other members of the Acumen community.
In addition to the East Africa Director, you will work closely with the Talent Manager to onboard and offboard staff and will report directly to the Finance and Administration Manager.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as internal resource and liaison for various operational needs (technology, insurance, security, general office administration, etc.) and lead vendor relationships
- Manage office petty cash and support the Finance and Administration Manager in processing of payments
- Lead efforts to manage and maintain Acumen East Africa’s current office space
- Maintain a presence at desk in order to efficiently and expediently respond to the immediate needs of the East Africa Director, team, and visitors
- Support the East Africa Director in submission of expense reports
- Coordinate logistics for local Acumen events, planning and coordinating with the host, managing guest lists, effective capture and follow-up, in partnership with the relevant event leaders
- Support the EA team in the preparation of materials for internal and external meetings
- Ensure smooth administrative entry for new hires including email, laptop and phone set up; building security/entry and overall orientation and integration
Scheduling and Meeting Preparation:
- Update essential logistical information (meeting locations, dial-in details etc) so that all internal and external parties, with whom the East Africa Director is meeting, have complete and accurate information. This will include booking rooms for all external meetings for the East Africa Director and ensuring that meeting space & resources are prepared as planned for the wider East Africa team.
- Coordinate and communicate with senior management and team member schedules to ensure learning sessions, weekly check-ins and other internal meetings are organized as desired.
- Serve as primary point of contact for the East Africa office to prioritize and escalate issues on a daily and ongoing basis to maximize the use of the team’s time and resolve issues in advance where possible
- Receive inbound calls for the East Africa Director, as well as the general Acumen office line and route the calls appropriately
- Respond to general email traffic and inbound hard copy mail for the East Africa Director in order to stay current on matters concerning them, and update calendars as needed.
Travel and Logistics:
- Support travel logistics for team trips to regional offices, including booking flights, accommodation, and scheduling meetings during the trip.
- Assist with securing a variety of visas – those entering UK, traveling to US and to our regions of operation. Forecast and obtain the appropriate medical documentation, passport pages, and travel visas in advance of international trips (when necessary)
- Support global staff in making travel and lodging arrangements when visiting East Africa; streamlining the process.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- At least 4-5 years’ experience in Administrative and Executive support or equivalent operations background
- Strong project management and analytical skills; a demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for a diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exemplary interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across geographies, functions and levels of the organization.
- Basic book keeping experience will be an added advantage
- Proven mastery of Office applications and experience with GSuite.
- Permanent authorization to work in Kenya
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively with frequent interruptions, and to work productively in a fast paced, rapidly growing organization
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team
- Complete discretion with sensitive information, both within the company and externally
- Commitment to accuracy, attention to detail and follow-through
In addition, characteristics we look for in all positions at Acumen
- Enthusiasm for the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- A sense of humor (really).
To apply, click on APPLY