Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Few companies founded in 1902 are still going from strength to strength. Fewer still are leaders in more than 55 markets. And with one billion adult smokers around the world, we manufacture the cigarettes chosen by around one in eight of them. We take our business and our impact very seriously. We know the tobacco industry is a controversial one, and so it’s all the more important that we act responsibly, from the sourcing of tobacco leaf right through to how we market our products to adult consumers. Global to local Our business operates at a local, as well as global, level. We don’t own tobacco farms or directly employ farmers. More than 1,000 BAT leaf technicians worldwide support some 90,000 contracted farmers worldwide. We are a part of many local communities – both large and small – around the world, and in many countries we are the top employer and the company of choice for people employed at every stage of our supply chain. In 2015, we sold 663 billion cigarettes, made in 44 factories in 41 countries. We employ more than 50,000 people worldwide, with many more indirectly employed through our supply chain. British American Tobacco alone contributed approximately Â£30 billion to governments worldwide in excise and other taxes in 2015. Acting responsibly We take pride in the responsible way that our businesses are run. And the recognition and awards we’ve received over the decades show it’s not just us who think we’re doing the right thing. We were the first tobacco company to be included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index in 2002 – and we’ve been included every year since.
The role is responsible for developing and implementing strategies, initiatives and plans to promote a sensible fiscal regulatory framework for tobacco in East & Central Africa Area countries with government and relevant regulatory bodies; monitoring and interpreting international developments that influence national regulatory, fiscal and trade policies, and create positions and advocacy to support engagement, ensuring alignment with Regional/Global priorities; actively participating in the strategy development and decision-making processes within EAM in the field of regulatory & fiscal affairs; coordinating regulatory, fiscal and trade bloc management and engagement campaigns at an area level.
Reports to: EAM Head of Government Affairs
Reporting Level: Manages Self & Others
Geographic Scope: East & Central Africa Area
What you will be accountable for
- Actively monitoring the external environment for regulatory & fiscal developments at a global, regional and local level, to keep the business informed of relevant regulatory developments that would impact upon strategic business plans and decisions.
- To analyse and interpret information relating to activities, issues and events potentially impacting upon the business to ensure that the company has a continuous picture of the environment in which the Regulatory Affairs plan is operating in order that remedial action can be taken as required
- Coordinate implementation of engagement campaigns strategies at an area level with regulatory, fiscal and trade stakeholders, including on tobacco control measures, tax structures and systems, trade blocs and associated economic development organizations
- Plays a key role supporting the business on regulatory, excise, tax and trade engagement, including stakeholder dialogue and the development of engagement campaigns
- Explain and build understanding in business of different regulatory and excise scenarios
- Provides effective and timely support with the development of supporting advocacy, positions, communications materials and reporting mechanisms. Coordination of local pricing review meeting
- To promote the development of sensible regulatory and fiscal frameworks for tobacco amongst Government and regulatory authorities in all markets that would lead to productivity gains.
Essential Experience, skills and Knowledge
- Develop a regulatory strategy and approach that will support corporate goals through a thorough understanding of company vision and values
- Provide direction and focus in regulation, excise and trade bloc management across EAM
- Regulatory, pricing, excise and trade bloc knowledge
- Working knowledge of regulation, fiscal affairs and trade blocs
- Through research, to properly analyse and interpret the operating environment including political dynamics, sectoral regulatory trends (e.g., FCTC) and the expectations of the society so as to prioritize the issues and to set realistic objectives
- To regularly review and brief the team on the progress gained in the implementation of regulatory plans against LEX functional and company objectives
- To effectively manage external agencies so that such agencies perform in line with the requirements of the brief
- To effectively manage regulatory and fiscal affairs activities and engagement initiatives for the business with related governments, ministries, Parliaments, local authorities and other stakeholders
We are BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
Belonging, achieving together
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!