Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The Power Africa Off-Grid Project (PAOP) is a four-year USAID-funded project to promote off-grid electrification in 12 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The project is headquartered in Pretoria, South Africa. PAOP provides technical assistance to key sector stakeholders, including private sector off-grid companies, investors, and government agencies.
The Senior Technical Advisor will work with the Kenya Lead Advisor and other Regional Advisors to provide country wide business-focused technical assistance to off-grid companies and stakeholders. The Senior Technical Advisor will help off-grid companies to develop and implement business models to increase the number of new electrification connections and generation from off-grid energy systems, in particular solar home systems (SHS) and mini-grids (MG).
This posting is offered on a 1 year full time fixed-term contract (with possibility of renewal) and is only open to Kenyan nationals. Local National compesation plans and benefits will apply.
- Support SHS and MG companies through targeted technical assistance focused on product and business model development, retail and marketing strategies, and new business-line entry strategies including providing advice in registration, tax exemption path flows and in navigating the regulatory space.
- Provide strategies that support SHS companies to expand beyond current operation areas including development of a scalable agent recruitment, initial sales agent training program, reverse logistics, among others.
- Support SHS and MG companies on partnership development and market expansion by providing market information, identifying potential partners along with meeting the local representatives.
- In collaboration with the Finance Advisors, support SHS and MG companies in fundraising from different sources: equity, debt (corporate & asset finance) and grants. This shall be provided through ongoing support which includes sharing funding opportunities, reviewing proposal applications to investors, banks, donor programs among others.
- Provide support and advice to relevant sector associations: The Global Off-Grid Lighting Association (GOGLA), the Kenya Renewable Energy Association (KEREA), and other relevant stakeholders on regulatory, and other tax issues and help formulate coherent private-sector positions on these issues.
- Support companies in identifying both debt and results-based financing opportunities and inform their market entry strategies to the underserved counties, including providing the relevant linkages to other USAID programs like feed the future, and Powering Agriculture.
- Contribute to the development of market intelligence reports and other data required under the project.
- Lead & support the preparation and submission of relevant project reports and also respond to demand-driven project requests.
- Other suites as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in energy economics, energy engineering, mechanical engineering or another relevant field.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience (with Bachelor’s degree) OR six (6) years’ experience (with Master’s degree) in rural electrification or working & supporting off-grid companies.
- Strong understanding of the off-grid energy dynamics and experience in providing business and technical support to off-grid companies to scale up their operations is preferred.
- Experience analyzing and structuring financial transactions, ideally for off-grid companies, working with commercial investment banks, private equity and/or financial or legal services companies or firms in energy or finance sector.
- Experience working and providing support and advice to relevant sector associations and stakeholders.
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Working-level fluency in English.
- Computer literacy with the ability to produce reports.
- Culturally sensitive and respectful.
- Ability to travel as and when required.
- Demonstrates commitment to RTI’s mission, vision and values.
- Previous experience in an NGO will be advantageous.
- Experience within a donor funded organisation e.g., USAID will be advantageous.
Applications with no CV / Resume attachment will not be considered.