Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
About the job
Purpose of the Position:
To conceptualize and oversee all editorial aspects of Story moja’s English language offerings for upper primary and secondary school students. Help Storymoja realize its vision of getting a book in every hand by leading a profitable English publishing unit that produces world-class publications for local and international markets, partners, schools, and events.
- the conceptualization and successful implementation of annual strategic plans. Work with various stakeholders to develop ideas/concepts for new publication projects.
- research and regularly seek customer feedback to feed into the product development strategy.
- and recommend subcontractors for prequalification and help generate/update rate cards.
- ensure manuscripts are well-edited and prepared for publication, effectively manage editor(s) and subcontractors. Capture key performance indicators in written contracts including:
- Clear, well-researched customer-centric briefs to which deliverables must adhere
- Originality, scope, level, and length of the project.
- Agreed processes (and examples where applicable), timelines, and budgets
- Substantive editing as per the agreed guidelines.
- Completeness and organization of the content of the project/s
- Consistency and clarity, style, readability, and appropriateness of language (no use of profane words).
- Design briefs to which deliverables must adhere.
- E-content briefs to which deliverables must adhere
- Legality (i.e., perform rigorous plagiarism checks to ensure the text will not result in legal suits).
- Fact-checking, accuracy, and quality control of the project at all stages.
- Copy-editing and proofreading to minimize/eliminate errors before printing
- Continuous review and revision of books after printing.
- Book brand sheets, reviews, and ratings – ensure templates are shared and filled.
- Adherence to set publishing systems and processes outlined in the manual
- on project briefs agreed in the annual publishing strategy, prepare quarterly/annual departmental work plans and budgets for approval by the immediate supervisor.
- Solicit high-quality customer-centric manuscripts.
- Lead the author boarding process while maintaining a balance between established and upcoming authors.
- Proactively share all the approved publishing-related systems and processes and enforce them within the department.
- Professionally implement existing projects
- Manage the training of writers for various projects (as required).
- the key liaison with authors writing for authors writing in English (Grade 5 and above)
- and identify new material for co-publication and liaise with relevant contacts and negotiate rights for local and foreign editions, updates and co-editions, and translation rights.
- yourself with the CBC curriculum designs for upper primary and secondary (when they become available) to obtain KICD approval on most publications.
- Ensure proper record keeping of critical publishing department items i.e. publications, database of stakeholders e.g. writers, illustrators, teachers, competitors, and industry players.
- Liaise with other departments to initiate and promote English book launches, writing workshops, and other related events.
- Monitor competitor activities and publications as well as other interesting projects or offerings and report in the monthly management meeting.
- Actively engage with various industry stakeholders and keep abreast of developments in the greater reading, books, and publishing sector locally and internationally.
- Represent Storymoja at KPA and other selected industry associations and initiatives.
- Run weekly departmental traffic meetings and represent the department at monthly management meetings.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned to you by your supervisor and are related to the achievement of Story moja’s mission and vision.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, publishing, English, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of publishing experience in a senior role.
- Excellent communication and comprehension skills, both written and oral, including professional and tactful demeanor in dealing with authors and editors.
- Experience in copyediting and proofreading (thorough knowledge of English grammar and technical, scientific, and set books writing styles).
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
- The ability to handle multiple projects determines priorities and meets deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and both team-oriented and independent work abilities.
- Flexible approach to project work and creative problem-solving orientation.
- Excellent analytical, editorial skills, logical, and organizational skills i.e. knowledge and experience of managing multiple components in a Publishing environment
- Knowledge and experience in the rest of Africa Educational systems is desirable