Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
Organisation: Self Help Africa
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Annual gross salary: Range: Ksh2,880,000/- and Ksh3,600,000/-
Benefits: 22 days annual leave, Medical Insurance (self + spouse and up to 4 children), 10% Employer pension contribution and 25% leave allowance/-
Reports to: Team Leader: AgriFI Kenya Challenge Fund
Restrictions: 6 months’ probation; employment contract from reporting date to 30th June 2023
Expected Travel: National level travel to rural areas will be required
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO, dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. Working in ten countries throughout Africa, SHA focuses on agriculture and agribusiness as the engine of growth in Africa.
We believe in market-based solutions to the alleviation of longterm poverty and our primary clients are smallholder farmers in Africa. We work with all participants in the agricultural value chain and believe that you can only achieve longterm sustainable growth by creating profitable businesses (whatever the size) and farmer organisations that can operate at scale.
Our approach is collaborative and market-based: although we see our primary clients as smallholder farmers in Africa, we work with all participants in agricultural value chains. SHA currently runs programmes on behalf of a range of organisations including two Challenge Funds for the European Union, Irish Aid, the World Food Programme and the UK Department for International Development. SHA has an ambitious growth strategy to increase its global footprint and expand into new areas.
The organisation also has a number of social enterprise subsidiaries – TruTrade, which supports market access for small-holder farmers in agricultural value-chains and Partner Africa, an ethical auditing and consultancy firm that operates across more than 40 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East.
Based within the AgriFI Kenya Challenge Fund programme, the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager will be responsible for all M&E deliverables of the project. He/She has to ensure that data collection, quality assurance, analysis and learning activities for the Programme take place timely to ensure effectiveness, efficiency and accountability in the implementation of the programme.
The M&E Manager leads the development of programme related M&E systems, tracking performance indicators, development of data collection tools, data collection, analysis and reporting, drafting of learning papers and thought leadership papers. Independently manages surveys through SHA specific methodologies and tools.
Provides accurate analysis and presentation of information to enhance SHA’s position as a strong development partner. Provides analysis to support the Team Leader and Portfolio Manager roles The M&E Manager will be the line manager of the M&E officers in the programme.
The M&E Manager is responsible for the M&E deliverables of this large project. He/she supports/coaches the M&E Officers in training and advising project staff to ensure the timely implementation of all programme M&E activities. The main tasks are:
- Ensure effective and efficient implementation of the programme’s Monitoring and Evaluation plan including periodically reviewing the M&E plan to ensure it is fit for purpose.
- Support the Senior Portfolio Manager and the Team Leader in supervising assessments to track progress on project indicators and ensure quality of the data by performing verifications and validations.
- Line manages the M&E Officers in his/her tasks
- Conduct regular visits to project sites to oversee the monitoring processes as well as gather feedback from the beneficiaries about the services provided by companies, benefits received etc.
- Analyse and discuss findings based on regular monitoring data.
- Manage the implementation of a programme Results Based Management System to ensure that data and findings translate into learning that is embedded in the programme, leads to adaptations where necessary and contributes to institutional knowledge.
- Supervise external consultants conducting evaluation studies (baseline, mid-term, and end-line surveys) as applicable.
- Support the organisation and coordination of knowledge sharing internally across programmes as well as overall.
- Lead the review and consolidating of high quality quarterly and annual reports both internal and to the donors.
- Ensure and coordinate processes of collection/documentation of lessons learnt best practices and success stories from both agri-enterprise and farmer level.
- Write/prepare publications and other specific papers based on programmatic learning that can be shared within the wider community.
- Ensure the highest standards of accountability through good communication and information sharing within the programme and through active participation of staff, beneficiary and other stakeholder to all stages of the project.
- Contribute to effective teamwork, coordination and work planning among development facilitators, technical specialists, and administrative staff in support of project objectives
- Contribute to a working environment of mutual trust, respect, and care among all staff.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Team Leader.
- AgriFI Team (Senior Portfolio Manager, Portfolio Managers, Communications Officer, Accountants, Support functions)
- M & E Coordinator – SHA Kenya
- Head of M&E – HQ
- Head of Programmes
- Head of Finance and Administration
- Imani M & E Team
- Companies engaged by the programme
- Smallholder farmers,
- Government Ministries/ departments,
- Other like-minded organizations and institutions
Knowledge & Experience:
- At least 5 years relevant working experience in Monitoring and Evaluation roles in donor funded projects (EU projects preferred) with 3 years in an M&E managerial role.
- Demonstrated knowledge and practice in Project Cycle Management and MEAL
- Excellent skills in result-based M&E frameworks, indicator tracking, M&E systems development, development of data collection tools, data analysis and report writing
- Practical knowledge and skills of database development/management and statistical analysis
- Practical/ field experience in data collection, analysis & data quality control
- Excellent knowledge of full Windows Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access)
A first degree in Economics/ agricultural economics/ development studies/ project planning & management/ monitoring & evaluation or other related discipline from a recognized university.
Role Competencies and Values:
- A strong commitment to the aims, objectives and values of SHA Kenya
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and sound judgement
- Self-development, initiative-taking, working well with limited supervision, ability to meet deadlines
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
Download the Job Description
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and SHA reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply:
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, please download the Application Form and fill it in. Upload this, along with your CV and covering letter to our Online Recruitment Platform.
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
Closing date is Thursday 29th April at 5pm.
Please note that Self Help Africa Kenya advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Self Help Africa is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, transparency, and accountability in all its affairs and is completely against fraud, bribery, and corruption. All employees are bound by code of conduct, child protection and conflict of interest policies.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Police vetting is required.
All applicants are encouraged to read through the following safeguarding policies as you make your applications:
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer