Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position title: Head of Planning and Performance, WWF-Kenya
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer, WWF-Kenya
Supervises: Monitoring & Evaluation team
Dotted line management of OD lead
Date: April 2021
Career Level: Functional Head Level 2
- Mission of the Planning and Performance Function:
Provide leadership in strategic organizational development, planning and performance oversight that is aimed at achieving the mission and objectives of the Organization with a focus on quality assurance and compliance. More specifically, this function will oversee the organization’s delivery of its strategy, take lead role in organizational annual planning and monitoring, performance tracking and management. The role will ensure that WWF-Kenya INSIGHT platform is updated regularly and functioning aimed at organizational alignment on capturing and reporting its overall achievements (both half year and on annual basis) including dissemination of the results. The role will take lead in reporting to the Board, providing a platform of reporting to the network for various cross-boundary initiatives hosted on behalf of WWF network.
The Head of Planning and Performance will coordinate the development of WWF-Kenya’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), linking this with Strategic goals, monitoring progress, assessing impact and setting performance framework based on strategic goals and objectives.
- Main Purpose and Scope of Role:
To achieve our key milestones in WWF-Kenya’s ambitious 2020- 2030 strategy, the organisation needs to remain on track to reach our long-term targets. This is a critical role in a fast-paced environment, where the ability to prioritize, multi-task and collate timely information is paramount.
Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, the role will lead WWF’s work to ensure translation of the organisational strategy effectively into operational plans, develop a robust performance management system that monitors and evaluates impact and the achievement of our goals, supporting execution of efficient and effective business systems and processes that support the delivery of goals and cross-functional working. The role will coordinate learning and adaptive management.
The role will further develop an integrated planning and performance function that will work across the organisation interfacing and connecting with the six goals that underpin our 2020- 2030 strategy. The role will build relationships with the Senior Leadership Team, Thematic Leaders and Programme Managers.
- Key Responsibilities:
Development and implementation of WWF-Kenya’s strategic plan:
- Provide strategic oversight and leadership in the strategy, planning, budgeting, execution, monitoring and evaluation of all the organization’s goals.
- Work closely with the functional heads in ensuring that policies, procedures and practices that support attainment of efficiency and effectiveness exist, or are developed and formulate a plan on process improvement across the Organization to enhance planning and performance.
- Design and deliver organisation-wide systems and processes to monitor and evaluate activities of themes, functions and teams using appropriate KPIs.
- Oversee the development of an organisation-wide dashboard of key performance indicators (systemisation) to measure impact and delivery of strategic goals.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of management information systems to ensure availability of the right data for decision making.
- Develop service level agreements (SLA) and turnaround time policies in collaboration with heads of functions.
- Drive the evolution of the planning process to include medium and long-term plans aligned to organisational goals.
- Lead the process to develop future strategies to keep the organisation and units on track to achieve our 2030 goals.
- Ensure the annual budgeting process is aligned with the organizational strategy by linking strategic milestones and outcomes to annual budget preparation processes.
- Work with the Audit, Risk & Compliance function to assess the progress of corrective measures to address organisational risk management.
- Identify barriers to the delivery of the strategy and ensure effective actions are in place to mitigate, including acting as a facilitator where issues straddle functions and thematic goals.
- Work closely with Head of Conservation on internal communications to ensure staff have a clear understanding of the organisation’s strategic priorities and plans to deliver on the same.
- Establish an effective relationship with Network Planning and Performance team to support collaboration and sharing of learnings and insights.
Integrated performance management
- Lead the development performance management model and performance reporting process to ensure the delivery and presentation of high quality, timely and insightful information to support organisational decision making.
- Work closely with the Head of Conservation Programmes and the Head of Communications to ensure timely provision of required technical content for completion of annual report.
- Provide technical support to ensure that all projects have clear and implementable M&E framework
- Ensure themes, functions and teams are held accountable for achieving the targets set in our annual and longer-term plan.
- Conduct quarterly and annual reporting of WWF-Kenya against goals.
- Translate strategy into operational plans and strategy into organization performance metrics.
- Oversee the development and/or implementation of Enterprise resource planning (ERP) aimed at improving service delivery.
- Lead the development of the Organization’s performance management policy.
- Lead the process to agree annual operating plan(s) supported by appropriate measures.
- Support knowledge management, learning and adaptive management across the organization
- Coordinate the preparation of Board papers and participate in Board meetings to provide updates of the progress on achievement of the Strategic plan goals.
- Oversee the development and review of Board reporting tools as well as coordinate periodic board strategic performance reviews.
- Provide leadership in participatory management, identifying performance barriers, coordinating development of project improvement plans and following through on the implementation to ensure performance improvement
Ensure that all functions align their reporting processes:
- Ensure that WWF-Kenya’s project portfolio matches with the WWF-Kenya strategic intent and network goals.
- Ensure that all the conservation programmes and projects are developed, reviewed and approved with strategic linkages as part of the process.
- Coordinate the development of quarterly and annual reports to the WWF-Kenya Board and public respectively.
- Ensure Conservation and Operational reporting is linked to the WWF network reporting standards.
- Harmonize WWF-Kenya reporting systems to ensure consistent dissemination of valuable information that can be used for adaptive management.
Ensure WWF-Kenya’s Conservation outcomes are optimally supported by Business support teams:
- Proactively identify problem areas and bring these to the attention of the CEO and Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Develop deep understanding of the operations across the organization to build business connection between functional units.
- Assume a lead role in the regulation of the internal guidelines process to facilitate ease of doing business.
- Profile of Head of Strategic Planning and Performance:
Experience & Qualifications
- At least 10 years’ experience of leading strategic planning across an Organisation, preferably an INGO bringing teams and units together to plan effectively against shared goals.
- Experience in conservation programmes leadership and understanding of the conservation agenda in Kenya and globally.
- Proven experience of performance management, impact measurement and analysis.
- High level of understanding of organisation development and/or management science principles.
- Experience in a similar role with a level of responsibility for a more efficient and responsive Organization.
- Experience of managing complex businesses or Organizations.
- Considerable experience of effective stakeholder management – influencing senior colleagues and working effectively across a range of teams and departments to ensure organisational strategic priorities are met and delivered.
- A graduate qualification in natural resources management or related discipline, and/or business management.
- Experience in quality assurance/quality improvement and Organizational performance management.
- Working knowledge of finance for non-finance staff, management accounting and organizational audit.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Capable of building and sustaining productive and effective working relationships.
- Must be well organized and have a detail oriented approach.
- Influencing and negotiation skills.
- Strategic thinker able to blend big picture strategic thinking with robust organisational planning.
- Leadership skills, able to coach and develop talent as required.
- Passion for the conservation issues we work on and a commitment to support our cause for nature.
- Working Relationships:
Internal – Works closely with Senior Management and Leadership Teams and WWF-Kenya Board. Manages the planning and performance team within established frameworks and frequently interacts with other WWF-Kenya team members.
External – WWF Network and partner organizations as appropriate.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please apply with your CV and cover letter as one file with the Job Title of Position Applied for on the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org to be received no later than May 7th, 2021. We will not accept applications without a CV and cover letter.
- Work permit restrictions may apply.
- WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational need.