Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
The position is located in the FAO Representation in Kenya.
FAO’s Kenya Country Programming Framework (CPF) sets out four priority areas that will guide FAO’s partnership with, and support to the Government of Kenya at the national and devolved levels – bringing together innovative international best practices and global standards with national and regional expertise during the five years from 2018 to 2022. One of the priority areas is on the development of the Inclusive Value Chains. The value chains under this priority are selected based on the countries priorities.
The inclusive value chains sub program is implementing various value chain selection, analysis and development interventions in a number of value chains and sub sectors including horticulture, poultry, cereals, pulses, aquaculture and fruits. The interventions are designed to ensure inclusivity and sustainability in their impact as well as being aligned to various SDGs especially on contributing to economic growth, generate employment in rural economies – in particular for women and the youth, improve livelihoods, promote gender equality and reduce poverty.
Currently within the region, the FAO is implementing a number of projects, which aim to increase investments, improve food security, generate employment and increase income for the farming communities and agricultural entrepreneurs in the region. There are also projects aimed at increasing opportunities for youth in agriculture. He/she will focus on the following outputs:
- Ensure that selected value chains are strengthened
- Entrepreneurship capacities of agri-value chain actors (including women and youth) strengthened
- Enabling environment to ensure increased investments in agriculture are achieved
The Agribusiness and Value Chain Development Specialist will be responsible for supporting the IVC team in achieving these outputs.
The Agribusiness and Value Chain Development Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Kenya, and the direct supervision of the Sub Program Leader for Agribusiness and Inclusive Value Chains (IVC), he/she will be responsible for the program coordination of the Sub Program’s activities in the Lake region Counties (Kisumu, Busia, Vihiga, Kakamega, Siaya, Migori, Nyamira, Homa Bay, Kisii, Nandi).
The consultant will be responsible for coordinating delivery of the outputs of the projects in the region that aim to Improve food systems, enhance coordination and foster agricultural investments. These targeted investments should be aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that contribute to economic growth, generate employment in rural economies – in particular for women and the youth, improve livelihoods, promote gender equality and reduce poverty. The Consultant will be responsible for building the necessary stakeholder platforms and working closely with the County Governments and other development partners in the delivery of this assignment.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the harmonization of the different projects into an overall program for the region.
- Provide technical, organizational and entrepreneurial skills to producers, Micro, Small and Medium Agro-Enterprises (MSMAEs) and agricultural service providers to establish and engage in inclusive, equitable and innovative business models.
- Undertake value chain and food systems analysis to identify diverse income-generating opportunities.
- Liaise and work closely with the relevant departments of the Government at regional and county level to ensure that results are met.
- Support innovative public-private partnerships for increased and effective agricultural value chain financing and business development.
- Support gender mainstreaming in agribusiness and value chain development.
- Build the capacity of agro-food value chain actors to implement food quality management systems and food loss reduction strategies.
- Prepare the necessary reports as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Business Management, or any other related field
- 10 years of experience in agribusiness investment, agricultural finance, SME development, and has a vast and consolidated network of contacts with the public sectors (ministries and agencies) as well as with the private sector (Kenya Private Sector Alliance (KEPSA), financial institutions, local agribusiness companies, fintechs, etc.).
- Working knowledge of English and Kiswahili
- National of Kenya
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in Private sector Development
- Extent and relevance of experience in Multi Stakeholder processes
- Familiarity with the Kenyan Agriculture Sector networks
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile.
- Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
- If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
Closure Date: 05/May/2021, 12:59:00 AM
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT