Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Hivos works for a world where people can realize their full potential, unleashing their ingenuity and creativity to build fair, just and life-sustaining societies for themselves and generations to come. Our mission is to amplify and connect voices that promote social and environmental justice and challenge power imbalances. We particularly work to empower marginalized rightsholders to raise their voice and demand freedom of choice.
About Digital Defenders Partnership
The Digital Defenders Partnership (DDP) was initiated late 2012 by the Freedom Online Coalition (FOC) to advance Internet freedom and to keep the internet open and free. DDP provides emergency response and sustainable protection funding; strengthens rapid responders and local protection networks and capacities and contributes to long-term organisational safety through long term accompaniments.
DDP provides organizations, collectives, and networks with a tailored programme of accompaniment with local experts, working with organizational focal points. The DDP programme supports their awareness of digital security issues, the development of effective and resilient practices for digital security, and a positive contribution to the overall protection and well-being of the collective. The DDP currently works on this model across different regions.
Are you committed to defending human rights offline as well as online? Do you have some experience in facilitating trainings, digital security, organizational security, or coordinating networks? Are you flexible, and able to contribute to a whole range of tasks within the Digital Defenders Partnership program? The DDP team would love to have you as a colleague.
The Project Officer Africa reports to the DDP Regional Project Manager Africa and has the following responsibilities:
- Administrating the regional team
- Administrative tasks (travel arrangement for participants of the training, assisting the lead facilitator, regional project manager and regional mentor Fellows in planning and preparing the training);
- Being part of the project team with regular weekly meetings;
- Creating contracts with regional trainees, assessing monthly reports;
- Maintaining close contact with the regional team; regular calls, ongoing availability via secure communication channels;
- Supporting with regional meetups (between team members and organizational focal points);
- Supporting with intervision meetings (team members and mentors/facilitators).
- Grants management
- Assessment of applications, due diligence and vetting (in close cooperation with the DDP grants officers);
- Guiding and supporting (potential) grantees:
- Partner management (creating contracts, assessment of quarterly reports, payments, communications, etc);
- Outreach: scouting for potential new regional partners through conferences and your own regional network;
- Advice and Referral: Due diligence of those who are asking for support.
- M&E, Reporting, lessons learned
- Implementing DDP M&E activities;
- Contributing to the official reporting structure to the back donors;
- Joining international DDP team meetings.
- Safety and Security focal point towards the regional hub + other Hivos regional programmes
- 10% of your contract is non-billable and can be spend on linking and advising within Hivos.
- You are an excellent communicator (written and verbal) in English.
- You have experience as a digital security trainer and group facilitation.
- You are a good organizer, and able to work in different time-zones and with people from different (cultural, religious) backgrounds.
- You have knowledge of issues related to internet freedom, digital security, and working directly with human rights defenders under threat.
- You have network coordination experience.
- You have grants management experience.
- You are result-oriented, and a practical thinker; you are able to deal with emergency requests that come up, you don’t mind taking on any kind of administrative tasks.
- You are an Independent team player; you are able to work independently on program elements, as well as in collaboration with the DDP team and partners in the field.
- You are strategic, critical, analytical; you like improving and co-creating project elements together with the DDP team, regional fellows and (local) stakeholders.
- You subscribe to the DDP core values (holistic understanding of protection, human rights & Internet freedom, Confidentiality & Trust, Mentorship & Partnership, Inclusivity & Diversity, Not claiming but Facilitating, Quality & Expertise).
- You are an open communicator; you are able to communicate clearly, and you are not afraid to address any ambiguity or insecurity.
- You are able to use encryption, and secure communication channels.
What we offer
Employment 40 hrs/week is offered for the period of one year with possible extension for a longer period. Salary offer consideration will depend on your experience and skills. Travel costs are compensated in accordance with Hivos Regulations.
Want to apply?
Please apply by 3 May, 2021. We will consider closing the procedure before this date in case we receive a lot of applications and/or have found the matching candidate before this date.
Both a cover letter and CV need to be submitted in English to Hivos through the email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: AFRICA PO DDP
Interviews will take place from 10 May 2021. Interviews will be held over secure online communication means.