Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req14449
Job Title: Finance Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The Finance Officer has overall responsibility for supporting the finance functions for the assigned Field Offices & the country program. The Finance Officer responsibilities include internal control, accounting data base management, reconciliation and verification of payment, budget and treasury and cash management functions.
Field Office Training & Support
- By frequent visits to the field offices providing training to finance staff on IRC accounting procedures and requirements, assists the Field Coordinators and program staff in finance related issues and activities.
- Identify areas of staff development and recommend to the finance manager & Fin Coordinator for their L&D development plan.
- Train field managers on budget tracking, review burn rates and provide advise if spending is not happening according to plan.
- Temporarily cover field finance staff position while they are away from their duty station
- Work with the finance managers on identifying gaps for capacity building of the partners and develop a capacity building plan for them
- Any task assigned by the supervisor.
- Ensures that all policies and procedures are in compliance with IRC and funding source policies, procedures, and requirements for all field sites.
- Ensue that the establishes finance and supporting function policies, systems and procedures, implemented in all IRC office.
- Prepare Monthly Balance Sheet schedules as assigned. Make sure all items in the balance sheet account are current and can be supported
- Follow up with field and main office staff to liquidate outstanding balance
- Closely supervises all financial activities and keeps the Finance Manager/Finance Coordinator advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
- Support the Finance Manager & Finance Co during external, internal, donor or government audits process.
- Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
- Ensure that statutory deductions are remitted to relevant gov’t office on timely manner.
Treasury and Cash Flow Management
- Support the team for timely preparation, review and approval of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliations for the Field office assigned at any given time.
- Coordinates the preparation of Cash Transfer Requests for field offices and ensures that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate program implementation.
- Assist the filed finance manager on facilitating of introduction or removal of signatories from IRC bank account.
Budget development, Budget Monitoring & Prepare Donor Reports
- When vital, working with program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments.
- Assisting in preparation of cost allocation processes that align with donor regulations.
- Attend all Grant Opening and Closing Meetings when required.
- Assist in preparation of donor financial reports as per the donor agreements & contracts.
- Prepare BvA and actively participate in BvAs review meeting and provide feedback on all finance related action points and closely monitor all grants to ensure that no grants are overspent or under spent through checking of over/under expenditure on the Budget vs. Actual.
- Ensure internal system of record retention are in compliance with IRC policy and the local laws.
- Ensure maintenance of uniform standards for documentation, including forms, support documents etc.
- Assist the field team on retention of documents, accurate and detailed filing of financial documents & vouchers as well as coordinating online Archiving of financial documents.
- Control access to financial records to authorized staff only.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or CPA II.
- Computer literate with significant experience in excel, accounting packages & SUN system will be an added advantage.
- The candidate should be mature, with stable personality and ability to maintain confidentiality.
Required Experience & Proficiencies:
- Good written and verbal skills in the English language.
- Must seek to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management appropriate to effect solutions.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the program organization.
- Must be a patient and good communicator who can function in an interpersonal environment involving a diversity of cultures, languages, and personal interests and agendas.
- Please make sure to include copy of Certificate of Good Conduct in your application.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and implements policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other encouraging benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.