Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Institute for Human Development
Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU, http://www.aku.edu) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents. An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in multiple health science and social science disciplines, carries out research pertinent primarily to low- and middle-income countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As a leading international institution dedicated to excellence and change, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
The Institute for Human Development is dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge with direct relevance for policies, programs, and practices that enhance life experiences at all stages of human development. In its foundational years, the Institute seeks particularly to become a major instrumental agent, locally as well as globally, for advancing knowledge about the earliest years of children’s development and harnessing such knowledge for the purposes of shaping policies and interventions that ensure a strong start in life for all children wherever they may live.
The purpose of this role is to assist with assessments and nursing care of patients attending hospitals participating in a genetic study of neurodevelopmental disorders, in particular Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) at the Aga Khan University Hospital. The nurse will be expected to work with the hospital members of staff to ensure delivery of quality care to the participants. Other roles will include recruitment of study participants, and data collection, while observing adherence to standard operating protocols for the NeuroDev study.
- Assist with nursing and medical care particularly for people visiting neurodevelopmental and neurological outpatient clinic;
- Screen and identify eligible participants among children at homes, schools and hospitals;
- Provide information, education and support to families or guardians of potentially eligible research participants;
- Administer the informed consent process for the NeuroDev study;
- Assist in collection of sociodemographic and phenotype data, using research electronic data capture software;
- Assist in collection of blood and saliva samples for genetic studies, while ensuring proper storage and transport;
- Foster good working relations with hospital’s nursing and clinical team and be willing to participate in continuous medical education (CME) activities in mental/neurological health care.
- A Diploma in Nursing, Registered with the Nursing Council of Kenya;
- At least 2 years’ experience in clinical care/ nursing or research studies;
- Flexibility; able to work extra hours when needed;
- Ability to work with vulnerable populations such as those with neurological or mental health disorders;
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written);
- Demonstrated computer proficiency in project management tools and Microsoft Office applications;
- Experience in care for children and adolescents with behavioral or neurological disorders is an added advantage;
- Willingness to travel to other NeuroDev sites within the country.
Closing Date: 30/04/2021, 9:59:00 PM