Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Managing Director, Natural Climate Solutions Fund
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Amid growing consensus that the protection, restoration, and improved management of ecosystems can provide at least 30% of the climate mitigation needed to limit warming to 1.5°C, Conservation International has set ambitious targets to realize the potential of these natural climate solutions (NCS) worldwide. CI is launching an NCS fund that seeks to double private investment in quality NCS. The Fund will deploy philanthropic capital to create a portfolio of high-quality NCS projects, to demonstrate and elevate standards of quality NCS for climate and people, and to unlock a range of protection, restoration, and improved management actions for much greater investment. The Fund is anticipated to grow into 30-50 projects over the next 5 years, with a target capitalization of at least $100 million.
CI seeks an experienced Managing Director to lead and oversee all aspects of Fund management. This includes programmatic direction, donor and implementing partner relationship management, project management, fundraising, tracking and reporting. An ideal candidate would combine strong operational and technical portfolio management experience with proven diplomatic, external-facing relationship management skills to achieve the Fund’s goals.
Fund development and management
- Develop Fund workplans, objectives, processes, and metrics for the management and delivery of conservation outcomes.
- Oversee and refine core systems and processes for the Fund, including investment selection and implementation processes and governance structures.
- Ensure Fund and funding recipient compliance with governance policies, CI policies and funding agreements.
- Lead internal information sharing and cross collaboration to share lessons learned and build stakeholder understanding.
Fund implementation and reporting
- Oversee Fund implementation, including the solicitation, review, and selection of Fund investments through appropriate governance structures.
- Grow and oversee Fund’s pipeline of investable NCS projects focusing on sites with highest potential to advance toward Fund targets for climate mitigation, co-benefits, and scaling.
- Coordinate work across units to ensure that funded activities are aligned with the Fund’s priorities and goals.
- Track budgets and oversee monitoring and evaluation. Share financial and project progress reports to key audiences; identify and implement refinements in work plans and strategies.Fund resourcing and communications –
- Serve as a primary spokesperson for the Fund and prepare CI executives for speeches, presentations, and donor interactions related to the Fund.
- Collaborate in fundraising efforts to capitalize the Fund at $100+ million, including leading the development of major fundraising proposals.
- Create effective communication materials to engage stakeholders including donors, government and NGOs, and technical colleagues.
- Hire and directly supervise a program having 1–3 direct reports (e.g., Coordinator, Monitoring & Evaluation Manager).
- Build and lead a networked team of 10+ staff supporting Fund from programs across the institution.
- This position can be based in Arlington, VA and other CI hubs (Brussels, Bogota, Rio, Nairobi, Singapore). Other locations may be considered in the US or based out of a CI field office.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, natural resource management, climate change, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years related work experience in project and program management, including planning, budgeting, and building and managing a team.
- Demonstrated ability to develop processes and tools where needed.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with donors and other partners.
- Strong capacity to work with international and multicultural teams to produce concrete results and to navigate diversity, equity, and inclusion challenges and opportunities.
- Consistent demonstration of vision and thought leadership in the form of effective scientific or public communication, coalition building, institutional leadership, or other means, and demonstrated skills in intercultural communication and experience engaging multiple audiences.
- Professional written and spoken fluency in English.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish, Portuguese, French, and/or Bahasa.
- Familiarity with voluntary and compliance carbon markets.
- Knowledge of international policy frameworks that affect demand for offsets.
- Familiarity with the leading standards that are applied to emissions reductions and removals from agriculture, forests and other land use activities.
- Fundraising experience.
- Experience in developing countries.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.