Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
East Africa Associate Director of Portfolio
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. They invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $132 million in 136 companies across Africa, Latin America and South Asia. They are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
The Associate Director will be joining a small team building a portfolio of game-changing companies focused on tackling poverty in East Africa. Since 2003, Acumen East Africa has invested in 33 companies reaching over 35M low-income lives in the region. They’re committed to the principles of inclusive capital and to growing a portfolio of locally founded businesses. The team is responsible for finding, vetting, structuring and managing investments in companies that serve low-income East Africans in their three portfolio sectors: Energy, Education and Agriculture.
- Source and evaluate new investment opportunities, lead due diligence on high potential opportunities, assist with structuring deal terms
- Lead the preparation and presentation of the analysis to Acumen East Africa’s Investment Committee
- Lead research and analysis related to Acumen East Africa’s investment portfolio and its performance, support fundraising and strategic partnership initiatives, and help manage portfolio operations
- Develop and implement a post-investment management strategy to add significant value to investee companies
- Actively cultivate Acumen East Africa’s networks in the venture and impact investing communities
- Contribute to the development of insight and communications pieces for external audiences
- Responsible for managing relationships with portfolio companies
- Manage and lead a team in a fast-paced, changing environment
To apply for this role, please ensure that you have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; Master’s degree preferable 10-15 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or investment management
- Significant commitment or experience with the social enterprise sector in East Africa
- Demonstrated commitment to tackling challenges of poverty
- Demonstratable, superior financial and business analysis skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, Acumen’s mission and business model, and respect for Acumen’s core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and key person talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.