Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Msingi East Africa is an ambitious and innovative industry development organisation supporting the growth of competitive industries in East Africa. We identify high potential industries. In these industries, we foster innovation, competitiveness and growth by providing support, including investment, to pioneering firms, while catalysing the right enabling environment for the industry. We are differentiated by our combination of strong private sector orientation and skills, and the long-term approach needed to catalyse lasting economic development. Ultimately, Msingi’s goal is to play a key role in East Africa’s long-term economic transformation.
Msingi enjoys long-term funding committed to its industry programmes by Gatsby Africa (UK). Gatsby is an independent foundation set up in 1967 by Lord David Sainsbury and has worked in East Africa since 1985. Gatsby is strongly committed to supporting Msingi’s industry programmes for the long term.
Purpose of the Industry Development Specialist role
One of Msingi’s focus industries is commercial aquaculture. Aquaculture is the fastest-growing agri-food sector globally. Msingi’s East African Commercial Aquaculture Programme is expanding after some initial success. This role will work within the Aquaculture Team and will lead various industry interventions aimed at unlocking lasting change in the sector.
Prior experience of aquaculture is not sought (although this is not precluded), but you will require strong entrepreneurialism, sharp analytical skills and an ability to learn quickly.
Msingi and Gatsby Africa run a number of exciting industry development programmes across East Africa. Beyond aquaculture, this role will have opportunities to contribute to work in other industries or potentially in due course to transfer to other Industry Programmes or units across the Msingi and Gatsby Africa network, if in line with both Msingi and Gatsby’s needs and your professional development objectives.
As a senior member of Msingi’s Aquaculture Team, you will:
- Lead processes to analyze constraints, opportunities and other characteristics of the aquaculture industry in East Africa;
- Lead on brokering deals with key companies in the industry to stimulate innovation and investments, and improve productivity;
- Oversee contractual relations with a range of companies and expert consultants;
- Engage with and manage other industry stakeholders, as and when needed, for example, industry leaders, associations, government officials, etc.;
- Work collaboratively with the Monitoring Specialist to ensure the interventions that you are leading are well monitored and lessons reflected on and learnt from;
- Lead regular field visits to collect and synthesize information to understand industry dynamics and opportunities for change;
- Perform any other duties relevant to the development of the industry as requested from time to time.
Experience and personal qualities required
Msingi is looking for star-performers that combine strong professional experiences to date with excellent analytical abilities and, in particular, an open-mindedness and keenness to learn new approaches and methodologies:
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Economics, Business or related fields from a reputable university;
- At least 8-9 years relevant work experience in one or some of the following areas: top-flight private sector strategy consultancies; strategic roles in leading or more innovative East African corporates or social enterprises; market systems development/‘M4P’ programmes or related consultancies; impact investment; or a related area.
- A strong focus and keenness on learning and asking questions;
- Top-quality analytical and critical thinking: an ability to analyse information, probe for further information, make rational judgements from the analysis, and understand how one issue may be part of a larger system;
- Good relationship and people management skills and experience, including with more senior stakeholders;
- Highly entrepreneurial and proactive;
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal, including an ability to produce high-quality written documents;
- Comfortable with adapting and responding to change;
- Firm ethical standards and integrity;
- A passion for the dynamics affecting East African economic development.
Terms and remuneration
The contract for this work will be permanent and full-time. The job will be based in Nairobi with up to 40% travel in the region. The salary and benefits package will be competitive and is negotiable depending on experience.
How to apply
If your experience and aspirations match this opportunity, please submit a one-page motivation letter and curriculum vitae detailing your qualifications and experience to https://cedarafricagroup.com/jobs on or before 20 May 2021 at 5pm (EAT). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.