Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
Working directly with the people and/or communities affected, the Economic Security department carries out a broad range of emergency-relief, food-security and livelihood-support activities. To read more about our long-term economic recovery through cash and vouchers: https://www.icrc.org/en/publication/4408-cash-and-voucher-assistance-economic-security
The Regional Cash & Markets Specialist is the reference person for all cash transfers and market assessment related capacity building and training, data collection, analysis, and cash and voucher assistance (CVA) design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in the Delegations under their remit.
Geographical remit: Whilst the position is based in Nairobi, it is a regional position, working primarily with East and Southern Africa and South East Asia.
Internally, you interact with staff in the Delegation where they are based and Protection and Assistance teams in delegations where you carry out support assignments and with technical reference persons at headquarters. You collaborate closely with the Geneva-based Cash Transfers & Markets Specialists in charge of the Cash Institutionalization process (considering the drive to mainstream CVA across the ICRC) and the Economic Security department Cash & Markets Specialist based in Geneva, Amman and Dakar. You report to the Head of Regional Affairs and the Geneva-based EcoSec Focal Point for Cash & Markets as functional manager for operational and thematic matters, including mission plans and work achievements.
Externally, you represent the ICRC to technical authorities, organisations and forums who work relates to the area of expertise (both locally, e.g. Regional Cash Working Group in Nairobi, and globally, e.g. specific thematic RCRM Cash working groups).
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
- Operational Support (Field & Desk Support): Provides remote and short-term mission support to delegations for designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programmes using cash and voucher assistance (CVA) modalities. Has a particular focus on developing CVA responses for multi-disciplinary programmes and for sectors beyond food security (Protection, Health, Water and Habitat etc.). Finds opportunities for a) more in-depth market system analysis and b) market-based interventions including support to adopting market-based programming.
- Capacity building: With global/regional cash teams, design and deliver trainings on using CVA within all Protection and Assistance responses (with an emphasis on on-line delivery) and produce tools and guidelines, reflecting standard methodologies. Initiate and support the set-up and implementation of CVA preparedness plans and activities in all delegations. Provide coaching to CVA focal points in Delegations.
- Support to global CVA: Inputs into the Cash Institutionalization process. Contributes to specific tasks at global level, such as thematic research and reviews (e.g. data protection, e-transfers, etc.), collection of evidence, identification of existing tools and guidance, etc.
- Collaboration: Ensures integration of relevant strategies in relation to field of expertise in Delegations and vice versa. Collaborates with regional peers to enhance the ICRC’s multi-disciplinary response to affected populations.
- Regional Networking: Stay ahead of and reports on global and regional trends and cross-cutting themes in CVA and market-based programming; represents the institution in relevant forums; and builds a network of key interlocutors. Explores opportunities for collaboration on market-based programming with Movement partners.
- Knowledge management: Disseminate practical information on market analysis and CVA – promote information sharing on experiences, lessons learnt, good practices, methods and tools, as well as research results.
- Systems: Engage with Logistics, Finance and Management departments to ensure smooth coordination and information sharing according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- The Regional Surge Missions framework applies to this position; thus, the position holder may be required to conduct support missions for gap filling or punctual operational support in case of need for operational surge.
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other interlocutors relevant to the position.
- Collects and shares information to improve understanding of the environment, humanitarian trends and responses.
Desired profile and skills
- Master-level or above in economics, international affairs, humanitarian affairs, or in a technical domain related to markets and cash transfer programming (e.g. agricultural economics).
- At least 7 years of practical field and hands-on experience in relief and recovery operations in various humanitarian context (crisis – armed conflict or disaster related emergency, rehabilitation, resilience building).
- Proven experience of 5 years in designing and implementing CVA (including basic market assessment), with 2 years at a similar position ideally.
- Experience in supporting, supervising or developing different CVA programmes, covering various modalities, mechanisms and approaches along CVA project cycle, including market assessment.
- Willingness to ensure both advisory duty and implementing / doing actual field work.
- Proven experience with the conduct of trainings for audiences at different levels of expertise (beginner, advanced) and with coaching.
- Internal experience working on transversal issues is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required (both orally and in writing). French is a strong asset (minimum B2 level).
- ICRC and RCRC Movement experience an asset
- Strong inter-personal, advocacy, communication and diplomatic skills.
Our operational & field constraints
- In line with the principle of neutrality, the ICRC does not assign personnel to a country of which they are nationals.
- You are in good health and will do a medical check-up prior to departure in the field.
- You are prepared to accept unaccompanied postings (i.e. no spouse, partner, children or dependents) for at least the first 24 months.
- In line with our security guidelines, you hold a manual driving license.
What we offer
- Rewarding work in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- A two-week orientation course and other opportunities for further in-house training.
- Competitive employment package with attractive social benefits.
- Length of assignment: 24 months, based in our Nairobi office, with frequent travail abroad of up to 60% of the time.
- Possibility to bring partner/children under 20 years of age on assignment after the first 6 months of contract.
- Starting date: January 2022
- Join an ICRC talent pool and be considered for future assignments elsewhere.
How to join
Ready to apply? You will need to upload your resume and a cover letter as well as copies of your diplomas and certifications, valid license to practice, passport and driving license before 23rd May 2021 .
We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment.