Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Data Hub Coordinator (RDH), and in close coordination with the Missing Migrants Project team at IOM’s Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC) in Berlin, the Research Consultant will support MMP’s programme through assisting with secondary data collection and website maintenance, fostering relationships with relevant regional actors, assisting with the development of data briefings, and analysing data on fatalities along migration routes in the East and Horn of Africa region. The Research Consultant will work under the guidance and technical supervision of the Project Coordinator for the Missing Migrants Project in IOM’s Global Migration Data Analysis Centre in cooperation with the RDH team, as well as with IOM Field Missions and IOM Headquarters. The Research Consultant will assist with the data collection and website maintenance relating to the Missing Migrants Project, foster relationships with relevant regional actors, and assist with other duties that may arise within the RDH.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Monitor regional news for reports relating to the issue of migrant deaths and disappearances, and other migrant movements in the region and keep relevant stakeholders informed;
2. Contact regional actors working on the issue of migrant deaths and disappearances in the interest of fostering long-term relationships to improve data and in coordination with relevant country offices;
3. Record, analyse and present data relevant to the Missing Migrants Project on its internal database and on its publicly accessible website;
4. Research for and analyse press releases and reports containing data on fatalities and disappearances in East and Horn of Africa;
5. Respond to media inquiries and other ad-hoc requests relevant to the region in close liaison with the Regional Media and Communications Unit at the RO;
6. Support research projects linked to migrant deaths and disappearances, including preparing and delivering presentations, and other tasks relevant to the region as they arise;
7. Organize and attend meetings linked to the Missing Migrants Project as needed;
8. Support the RDH with other data tasks pertaining to migration data collection, research initiatives, and analytical work related to the migration narrative in the region;
9. Any other task as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• University degree in International Relations, Migration Studies, International Affairs or any related discipline with at least four years of relevant professional experience;
• High school degree with at least six years of relevant professional experience.
• Strong background in migration research and data;
• Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
• Excellent drafting skills to produce analytical papers, briefs, and other publications;
• Strong computer literacy, including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Visual software experience an asset (Adobe, PowerBI, ArcGIS, InDesign, etc.);
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
• Ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to deadlines;
• Capacity to work and adjust to different field contexts, to liaise with multiple stakeholders during field missions, including local governmental authorities, community-based organizations, civil society and community groups.
Excellent command of English (oral and written). Proficiency in French will be an advantage, as well as knowledge of Somali, Amharic, Swahili and other local languages.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Position Title and Vacancy Number with three professional referees, and their contacts (both email and telephone) to International Organization for Migration (IOM), RO Human Resources Department, via e-mail:email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: 25 May 2021
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.