Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Title: Bioinformatician/Data Scientist
Location: IAVI Africa Regional Office, Nairobi, Kenya
IAVI is seeking to hire a knowledgeable Bioinformatician/Data Scientist who will play a key role in developing a long-term bioinformatics capacity building plan for the CRC network by providing project-specific support, including identification and application of existing computational tools and the development of new computational tools to accelerate analyses for different projects in ADVANCE. In addition to bioinformatics support, the successful candidate will also support data science management, including managing updates to the IAVI dataspace and working with relevant stakeholders to ensure compliance with data management policies.
The ADVANCE (Accelerate the Development of Vaccines and New Technologies to Combat the AIDS Epidemic) program is a ten-year cooperative agreement with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), through the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). This visionary $200 million program will run until June 2026 and is part of IAVI’s 22-year collaboration with USAID that has significantly impacted the field of HIV vaccine R&D and accelerated the search for innovative prevention tools, including a safe and globally effective HIV vaccine. USAID’s long-term investment and willingness to foster advances in science to benefit the world’s most at-risk populations have enabled IAVI’s unique model in Africa and India.
- Integration and analysis of large scale clinical, epidemiological, and genetic datasets to gain new insights into disease susceptibility, disease progression, and vaccine response – particularly within the context of HIV infection.
- Development and evaluation of a digital framework for disease surveillance for key infectious diseases, including laboratory capacity, data infrastructure, analytical capacity, and the development of methods to examine such routine data sources.
- Build a system of knowledge base for existing bioinformatics capacity and future research aspirations for each CRC site to institute a capacity building plan at the individual and cross-network levels.
- Garner a detailed understanding of ongoing projects in ADVANCE and enhancing computational tools to accelerate outputs for different research projects.
- Understand the long-term portfolio of ADVANCE’s medium and long-term projects, particularly those related to capacity building and clinical trials, and co-develop computational and statistical tools to support future activities.
- Co-lead and participate in Bio-IT strategic and project teams to build long-term capacity in bioinformatics and data science among the ADVANCE CRC network.
- Stay informed on new sequencing tools, platforms, and data analysis tools that can be incorporated into the ADVANCE program; ensuring the program maintains and easily accommodates new innovations and technologies.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, data science, epidemiology, or a closely related discipline is required; equivalent research, industrial or commercial experience may be considered.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience is required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of digital health and health preparedness is required.
- Experience working on global collaborative research projects in Africa and/or India is required.
- Knowledge of research methods, statistical procedures, and practical experience within a research environment is required.
- Experience working across a range of stakeholders, including researchers, health care providers, donors, project managers, and principal investigators is required.
- A strong track record in publishing research and/or directing research programs is required.
- Proven track record of using structured research capacity strengthening frameworks and tools is required.
- Proven success in medical/academic research management and administration is required.
- Experience presenting results and findings to specialist and non-specialist audiences, such as at significant conferences or engaging with the public on science is required.
- Solid reasoning and analytical skills are required.
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to multitask and prioritize is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Proven experience in project MEL is desirable.
- Certificate in project management is desirable.