Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Safety Manager (Technology Division)) – (21000216)
We are pleased to announce the following vacancy in the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Department within Resources division. In keeping with our current business needs, we are looking for a person who meets the criteria indicated below.
Brief Posting Description
The Health, Safety and Wellbeing function is responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of all elements of Safaricom’s Health, Safety and Wellbeing management’s system to assure the highest possible degree of health, safety and wellbeing for Safaricom’s employees, contractors, sub-contractors and visitors to company premises/ sites of operations in liaison with the management and teams across all other business functions including stakeholders
Reporting to the Senior Manager Health, Safety and Wellbeing, the role holder will identify and remedy high risk areas in the Technology division, through actively promoting a culture of safety within the Division.
- Implementation of Safaricom’s Health and Safety Management System, procedures and programs in the Division towards ensuring flawless business operations at the Division.
- Stewardship of Technology HSW objectives – implementation of the Safaricom annual high-level Health and Safety Plan ensuring 100% implementation at the business unit and across its operations.
- Perform Health and Safety reviews within the function and in areas of operation, on-site inspections and audits of physical conditions and work practices to identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices.
- Develop and implement a hazard identification and risk assessment program covering all Technology sites and areas of operations.
- Coordinate the implementation of controls from results of hazard analysis.
- Provide documented input at the build stage of new technology facilities and infrastructure.
- Provide counsel concerning compliance requirements to the Technology management teams, employees, contractors, visitors and other persons directly involved in function-related operations.
- Maintain a strong field presence ensuring that all function-related business operations comply with OSH laws and regulations, Safaricom Standards and internationally accepted OSH standards.
- Coordinate deep dive audits across the role relate function and supplier base towards determining compliance to Safaricom H&S standards and track actions arising to closure.
- Coordinate related function’s Senior Management tours and engagement activities and reporting
Health and Safety Reporting
- Review the Divisional Health and Safety KPI data and develop trend analysis reports including recommendations on appropriate corrective measures based on the review.
- Technology HS reporting and dashboards
Building Health and Safety Capability
- In liaison with HR and the HSW Senior Officer, identify, formulate and steward a function specific health and safety training matrix including statutorily mandated, task specific or general safety training and awareness sessions.
- Develop, document and implement training material on health and safety applicable to function.
- Develop and sustain holistic awareness campaigns at strategic and tactical levels to build health and safety awareness and capability at function.
- Develop internal as well as external communications and engagement activities to promote Health and Safety awareness amongst Technology employees, contractors, sub-contractors and visitors.
Contractor/ Supplier Safety Management
- Ensure maintenance of the comprehensive Contractor/ Supplier Safety Management process.
- Provide overall coordination of the contractor safety management process within the function related activities.
- Technology supplier deep dive coordination
- Technology tenders and gate 1 & 2 processes
- Technology Supplier management and forums
- Influence and monitor In-field inspections and compliance by project/ contract management teams
- Coordination of investigation of all accidents, near misses, dangerous occurrences, property damage or loss, first aid cases and medical treatment cases reported in Technology and the identification of corrective and/ or preventative action to prevent recurrence, where applicable.
Work Control Procedures
- Develop and implement effective work control (SOP) procedures for high-risk tasks to be utilized consistently throughout Technology.
- Ensure the implementation of a PPE policy to be adhered to consistently during the performance of high-risk tasks.
- Oversight over FTTx & Technology Projects
- Technology Standards
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Coordinate emergency incidents that occur within technology sites of operation in conjunction with other stakeholders.
- Ensure that all legal obligations imposed on the Employer with regards to emergency preparedness and responses are adhered to within the Division.
- Co-ordinate requisite inspections and assessments and risk reduction mitigations as necessary.
- Assist other business functions / stakeholders in the planning and execution of events for the function to assure the highest standards of safety at related events.
- Coordinate first aid team and fire marshal team activities across Technology operations to ensure the promotion of the highest standards of health and safety at the workplace as well as up to standard first aid and fire safety arrangements at the workplace and appropriate response to emergencies that may arise at the workplace.
- Management of the inventory of all first aid amenities/ supplies provided at technology facilities (including medical supplies, medical and non-medical equipment and signage) ensuring that they meet, at all times, legal and best practice standards. This shall include inspection and maintenance of the inventory, as and when required.
- Management of the inventory fire safety provisions (fire detection and suppression systems) ensuring that these meets, at all times, legal and best practice standards. This shall include inspection and maintenance of the inventory, as and when required.
- Planning, participation and coordination of H&S arrangements for function related live events including emergency response in conjunction with other stakeholders.
Digital tools for Health and Safety
- Steward implementation of the digital tools to ensure faster, simplified and more effective management of Safaricom’s Safety and Health Management System across Technology and regional operations.
- Ensure 100% utilisation of Entropy and I-tower across the technology operations
- I-Tower work permit approvals, compliance and oversight
- Spearhead and report on HSW related sustainability initiatives within the technology function.
- Ideally a degree in Engineering or science related field
- Relevant qualifications in Occupational Health and Safety
- 3-5 years minimum work-related experience in managing Health and Safety.
- Working experience in the Telecommunication, oil and gas or manufacturing industry.
- Thorough knowledge of the Occupational Safety and Health Act, The Work Injuries Benefit Act and subsidiary legislation.
- Good understanding of Occupational Safety and Health Management Systems
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers or employees
- Demonstrate ability to understand the GSM network and IT infrastructure
- Project Management and Coordination Skills
- Good understanding of incident investigations process
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Business process analysis techniques
- Risk management and process improvement