Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture based in Nairobi, Kenya. We undertake three exciting lines of work:
- We provide safe, sustainable sanitation services to residents living in urban informal settlements of Nairobi and Kisumu using end-to-end non-sewered sanitation solutions. Watch here!
- We implement a circular economy model to sustainably manage sanitation and organic waste generated in cities. Using technologies developed in-house, we upcycle the waste into insect-based protein for animal feed, organic fertilizer, and biomass fuel. We operate the largest organics recycling plant in East Africa. Watch here!
- We partner with cities to develop and deliver safe sanitation and waste management for urban residents. Using a systematic methodology, we match cities’ sanitation and waste management needs with technology and service delivery models, and then offer clear guidance on the steps that governments, funders, service providers and technology developers can take to develop and implement integrated service delivery systems.
Operational since 2011, Sanergy serves over 140,000 urban residents with safe sanitation services every day. Sanergy collects and treats over 12,000T of waste per year, and successfully sells its agricultural end-products to farmers in over 20 counties in Kenya, who see improved yields and increased incomes. At the same time, we have built a team of over 400 employees from diverse backgrounds who solve diverse problems, but all embody the drive, creativity, teamwork, and passion that make us achieve our goals. For our work, we have been recognized by the Gates Foundation as one of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals accelerator; by Fast Company as one of the 10 most innovative companies in the world doing social good and one of the 10 best companies in Africa, and the Food Planet Prize for our innovative circular economy approach.
About the role
We are in our tenth year of operation, and Sanergy is refining our theories of change and action and designing and operationalizing an accompanying MEAL (monitoring, evaluation, adaptation and learning) strategy centered around demonstrating the credibility of the relationships on which these theories are based. This is far from an academic exercise; our theories of change and action, and our performance against our targets, guide us in ensuring that we work toward our vision as effectively and efficiently as possible. Simply put, we’re focused on doing what works, and the purpose of this project is to chart our course and our plan for keeping ourselves on track. We are committed to defining the hypothesized relationships between inputs, outputs, outcomes, and impact, to aligning existing evidence to support our hypotheses where relationships have been demonstrated, and to gathering new evidence for relationships that have not yet been demonstrated.
The Citywise team needs a practically-minded, action-oriented and research-savvy person to bring focus and follow-through to the task of championing theoretical foundations while aligning with the organization’s “operations first” approach. The MEAL Fellow will guide senior leaders through the exciting, gnarly tasks of articulating our theories of change and action and MEAL strategy, and creating clear, practical plans for their operationalization. The teammate we’re looking for brings both the rigor of academia and the adaptiveness of an entrepreneur, recognizing that a successful, sustainable approach will balance these often-conflicting approaches. This is a unique opportunity to collaborate with senior leaders to dig into what we really need to know in order to realize our mission, and to lay the foundation for a disciplined approach to learning, improving and sharing as the organization moves into a new stage of growth.
See additional information on the team, project and role here.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Fellow will support the following activities:
- Reflect on and revise, as necessary, existing theories of change and action
- Map existing evidence onto theories of change and action by:
- Reviewing peer-reviewed literature
- Liaising with operational teams to create an inventory of past and ongoing internal research efforts
- Creating an inventory of past and ongoing external research collaborations
- Assess strength of existing evidence to support causal relationships between stages, and identify unsupported relationships
- Identify priority research questions at the intersection of what is valuable for Sanergy and what is valuable for the sector to support widespread adoption of citywide inclusive sanitation (CWIS)
- Develop a prioritized research agenda to guide external collaborations
- Liaise with operational teams to identify opportunities for support of internal research efforts
- Create a standard format for framing objectives and reporting activities and accompanying process to support internal research efforts
- Work experience and/or graduate coursework in public health or a related discipline
- Interest in program design and evaluation methods; excitement to live and breathe logic model lingo and guide others in adopting this mindset
- Experience conducting literature reviews
- Ability to engage collaborators with competing priorities to provide input without sacrificing project timelines
- Proactive, self-driven individual
Nairobi or remote
31 May 2021 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Sanergy is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.