Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Overall purpose of the role
The main responsibility of the GIS assistant is to work with other technical staff in the Regional (RO) and Country Offices (CO) in the generation, validation and processing of GPS data for all initiatives and programs.
GPS data Processing
- Updating and maintaining offline/online GPS/GIS datasets
- Preparing GIS data for use in web mapping applications
- Creating high quality cartographic products for reports, publication and presentations
- Checking data, tables, maps, and text for reports for consistency and accuracy
- Work directly with RO and CO staff to establish GIS tools, guidelines and systems
- Evaluate, analyze and compare data sets
- Produce reports related to both geospatial and non-geospatial data
- Create and/or ensure that data contains proper metadata information
- Develop tools and scripts to shepherd data from acquisition through final deployment
- Build validation routines to ensure data accuracy and quality specifications
- Develop tools and scripts to process and prepare vector and/or raster data
- Train RO and CO technical staff of key GIS capacities and systems
This position reports to the Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Manager.
Experience and technical competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in geography, statistics or GIS and/or combination of experience in major GIS applications
- GIS Certification
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in mapping and/or aerial support advanced programs.
- Proficient in MapInfo, ESRI ArcGIS, Google Earth, Adobe Suite
- Familiarity with basic concepts of demographics and cartography
- Related computer experience in mapping/aerial software, Windows applications, spreadsheets, and graphics/desktop publishing
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software products (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Proficiency in SPSS or other quantitative data analysis tools
- Ability to multi-task and integrate project segments
- Strong people skills
- Attention to detail, flexibility and professionalism
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract: Six months’ contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff in Kenya. This position is graded at NM. I
Start Date: July 2021
Duty Station: Nairobi
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on http://www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 4 June, 2021.
DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.