Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the direct supervision of the Technical Sector Manager & Regional Protection Coordinator for East Africa & Great Lakes Regional Office, the Protection Intern will be supporting DRC’s protection programme actions across all nine countries within the DRC EAGL region (Burundi, Djibouti, DRC, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda) with a strong focus on Age, Gender, Diversity and Inclusion (AGDI) of beneficiaries. The incumbent will be expected to complete tasks in the area of Gender-Based Violence, Child Protection, and AGDI mainstreaming under the technical supervision of the Technical Sector Manager & Regional Protection Coordinator.
The position will be supporting the coordination of protection activities across the region, ensure timely and appropriate information sharing, conducting research and drafting of documents, keep track of ongoing tasks and support requests and other tasks as directed by the Technical Sector Manager & Regional Protection Coordinator. A large focus of the portfolio will be supporting DRC in mainstreaming AGD within all our three programming platforms; emergency, solutions and root causes.
- Support in assessing capacity building needs in the areas of Child Protection and GBV programming;
- Conduct research and support in the development of new approaches in the areas of Child Protection and GBV programming;
- Contribute to reporting and proposal development across the countries in the region to ensure minimum standards are applied and adhered to and that AGDI considerations are reflected;
- Support Country Offices to conduct detailed age, gender and diversity analysis to guide DRC’s operations, institutional culture and programming within its platforms and corresponding sectors
- Follow up with Country Offices on the implementation of Regional Age, Gender and Diversity Strategy and country-specific action plans
- Support in the development and implementation of assessments to determine learning and capacity gaps and design training and capacity building tools for staff on age, gender and diversity
- Support with the development and roll-out of DRC training material on AGDM and roll out within EAGL RO
To be successful in this role we expect the following experience and technical competencies:
- Masters’ degree in relevant social sciences (eg. law, social work, psychology, political science, international relations);
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Proven track record in coordination, organizing trainings and events, and following up on tasks;
- Ability to work under pressure and with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- Excellent inter-personal and negotiation skills;
- Strong affinity with humanitarian protection principles;
- Experience in working in fragile and conflict contexts in an asset;
- Experience working with populations under stress is an asset;
- Experience in East Africa Region & Great Lakes region will be seen as an advantage
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and adaptability;
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Good command of French language is an added value
Moreover, in this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Duration: 6 months
Contract: Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Internship Terms.
Start Date: 1st July 2021
Duty Station: Nairobi – Regional Office
Reporting: This position reports to Technical Sector Manager & Regional Protection.
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
Applicants must send a cover letter (max 1 page) and an updated CV (max 3 pages) in English. Cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position. Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at http://www.drc.ngo. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 2nd June 2021
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport