Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture based in Nairobi, Kenya. We undertake three exciting lines of work:
- We provide safe, sustainable sanitation services to residents living in urban informal settlements of Nairobi and Kisumu using end-to-end non-sewered sanitation solutions. Watch here!
- We implement a circular economy model to sustainably manage sanitation and organic waste generated in cities. Using technologies developed in-house, we upcycle the waste into insect-based protein for animal feed, organic fertilizer, and biomass fuel. We operate the largest organics recycling plant in East Africa. Watch here!
- We partner with cities to develop and deliver safe sanitation and waste management for urban residents. Using a systematic methodology, we match cities’ sanitation and waste management needs with technology and service delivery models, and then offer clear guidance on the steps that governments, funders, service providers and technology developers can take to develop and implement integrated service delivery systems.
Operational since 2011, Sanergy serves over 140,000 urban residents with safe sanitation services every day. Sanergy collects and treats over 12,000T of waste per year, and successfully sells its agricultural end-products to farmers in over 20 counties in Kenya, who see improved yields and increased incomes. At the same time, we have built a team of over 400 employees from diverse backgrounds who solve diverse problems, but all embody the drive, creativity, teamwork, and passion that make us achieve our goals. For our work, we have been recognized by the Gates Foundation as one of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals accelerator; by Fast Company as one of the 10 most innovative companies in the world doing social good and one of the 10 best companies in Africa, and the Food Planet Prize for our innovative circular economy approach.
About the role
The Policy & Legislation Research Associate will review legislation & policy drafts and propose suggestions to improve the effects of existing policies on Sanergy’s areas of work. He/She will also work to build a repository of relevant legislation and policies in relation to the organization’s objectives and aspirations. He/She will work under the direction of the Director of Government Affairs & Policy
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct ongoing analysis of all laws, regulations, bills, policies, that affect Sanergy, examining whether these regulations are prohibitive, neutral, encouraging, incentivizing to the business across Sanergy’s sanitation and waste management value chains.
- Collaborate with research entities to strengthen/ expand research capacity to form a better basis for policy making/ review and in line with advocacy, find research areas where the organization should explore for better advocacy/research.
- Extract, collect and aggregate WASH related data across databases, information sources, survey responses, and other data sources; ensure data quality; clean and check existing data for consistency and accuracy.
- Develop data visualizations for diverse audiences and develop, formats, and prepare reports, charts, and/or graphs for varying documents and written and oral presentations for both internal staff and external stakeholders; collaborate with teams to design and help integrate data into a Sanergy-approved format.
- Assist in coordinating, administering, analyzing, and reporting on primary research and surveys of government officials, community leaders, and civil society groups.
- Create policy & legislative one-pagers and topic briefs to support the team’s work.
- Improve internal policy information tracking systems and enhance the Government Relations department’s collaborations and communications on integrated activities with other Sanergy departments.
- Undergraduate degree required bachelor’s degree in political science/public policy or relevant degree option
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working with policy and research, government sector
- Intermediate level experience preparing data sets and data analysis and ability to read and interpret complex materials and perform data cleaning
- Strong understanding of databases, analytical tools, and concepts
- Strong experience with Excel and use of data visualization is required
- Must display an advanced level of skill in the Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently and must have the ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment regarding matters of significance
- Exceptional time management skills required and an ability to complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner, without prompting, both independently and collaboratively superior organization and prioritization skills and must be meticulous and detail oriented
- Must be able to resolve difficult problems, use analytical judgement, and must be able to process a high volume of accurate, detailed, and quality work product with an unsurpassed attention to detail
- Resourcefulness and ability to work proactively – thinking ahead
31st May 2021
Sanergy is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.