Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Project Officer, the Communication Associate will assume the following key functions:
- Support the implementation of communications strategies for the Greening and Sustainability projects; help identify thematic priorities and target audiences to meet the project communications objectives.
- Collaborate with divisions, bureaux and country operations across the globe, and ensure alignment with defined objectives, communication values and UNHCR brand guidelines.
- Assist in research, preparation, editing and production of professional media and communications materials for target audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via UNHCR’s communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards.
- Help ensure that content created reaches maximum impact by supporting the development of strategies for distribution from the outset, boosting the visibility of content on relevant UNHCR channels and if required, placing it on external channels.
- Help to keep the DFAM intranet pages for GMIS/Greening and Sustainability updated, but also interesting and appealing to the target audience.
- Research, write and edit a wide range of creative and engaging editorial related to Greening and Sustainability project activities, events, and initiatives including articles, profiles, Q&As, FAQs, factsheets, and intranet content.
- Assist in the development, refinement, and update of Greening and Sustainability project processes and communication tools, specifically dashboards, the UNHCR Intranet and other relevant databases.
- Help monitor the successful implementation of communications projects.
- Help forge strategic partnerships with individuals and organizations who can help produce and promote the
- Greening and& Sustainability projects content, activities and messaging as well as provide research insights to improve communications.
- Liaise with relevant teams in UNHCRs division for external relations (DER), the Special Coordinator for Internal Communications and the Working Group on Internal Communications for production of graphics, videos and other visual aids for relevant audiences.
- Assist in coordination of internal events including brownbag lunches, panel discussions, etc.
- Continually maintain and upgrade communications skills, keeping abreast of emerging platforms and tools, and systematically review media impact results and other measurement tools for learning purposes.
- May be required to assist in implementation of campaigns, events and other initiatives in support of the Greening and Sustainability projects strategic objectives.
- May be required to undertake missions as necessary to achieve Greening and Sustainability communications objectives.
- Ensure alignment with UNHCR¿s global branding and messaging.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Education & Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Journalism, International Relations, Communications, Media, Political Science, Social Sciences or similar related fields
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Experience in engagement and outreach with social media, Intranet and Internet web content.
- Experience implementing communications strategies;
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint essential).
- Excellent command of English (written and oral), including a highly developed drafting ability.
- Ability to travel to potentially volatile locations.
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently, and manage own work related to multiple tasks and activities.
- Experience working with organizations providing development and/or humanitarian assistance an asset, specifically in emergency response and inter-agency emergency coordination approaches;
- Background in journalism and/or communications and advocacy;
- Experience with digital marketing tools, Graphic Design and Desktop Publishing software;
- Knowledge of other UN languages.
- MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation*
- CO-International Media Contacts
- CO-Journalism (incl. print, broadcast, photography, video, layout & graphics)
- ER-Digital channels including social media, website, mobile, email and online advertising*
- CO-Video production for digital platforms (including news organizations)
- CO-Web publishing and content management*
- CO-Digital content production*
- CO-Preparation of key messages/talking points/speeches
- IT-Web Content Management
- MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
In 2007, the UN Climate Neutral Strategy was developed, and organizations committed to move their respective organizations to climate neutrality. Since then, UNHCR has continuously improved its efforts in promoting the careful use of energy resources by refugees, host communities, partner organizations and as a priority by UNHCR itself. In 2019, UNHCR developed its Global Strategy for Sustainable Energy 2019-2024 which aims to enable persons of concern to UNHCR to meet their energy needs in a safe and sustainable manner. It also launched the Clean Energy Challenge and has recently published its first comprehensive Strategic Framework on Climate Action. The Greening and Sustainability Team is responsible for Pillar III of this Framework concerning UNHCR¿s Environmental Footprint.
In 2020, UNHCR developed a new internal Greening and Sustainability strategy in order to improve its environmental performance, climate compatibility and resource efficiency. The UNHCR Greening & Sustainability strategy focuses on three main areas:
Green Box: measure global energy consumption of UNHCR offices in order to migrate from fossil fuels to renewable energy
Procure and install electricity meters in all UNHCR offices; create centrally managed dashboard with real-time data; carry out energy audits of all UNHCR offices; and prepare business cases for each UNHCR office to identify alternative energy options.
Green Fund: Develop innovative financing model to migrate UNHCR offices from fossil fuels to renewable energy
Establish internal UNHCR Green Revolving Fund to convert UNHCR Operations from diesel to renewable energy; use the Fund to procure from private sector independent power producers through Power Purchase Agreements; aim to achieve positive carbon impact and positive financial impact to budget (cost effective).
Green Data: Implement dynamic technology platform for real-time monitoring and data visualization
Establish systems and policies for real-time, high quality data collection of GHG emissions, energy, waste and water across UNHCR; create data warehouse and dashboards for easy monitoring, reporting and decision-making.
The Communication Associate¿s position is located within the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service (GMIS), in the Division of Financial and Administrative Management (DFAM). DFAM contributes to safeguarding the financial resources entrusted to UNHCR by maintaining and improving the financial and administrative systems, policies and procedures and promoting cost-effective and transparent use of these resources. GMIS is a new service within DFAM which merges four functions: global gleet management, global travel, global facilities management and global asset management. Greening & Sustainability is one of GMIS main cross-functional areas.
The Communication Associate is providing support to DFAM/GMIS with its communication relating to the Greening and Sustainability strategy and relating key projects. The Communication Associate will assist producing DFAM/GMIS messaging, organizing internal cross-divisions greening meetings, and boosting the Greening and Sustainability internal communication throughout UNHCR.
The incumbent works quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor. S/he keeps frequent contacts with staff at various levels in the office.
Deadline is 7th June, 2021