Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development. UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and island states.
The Technical Services Unit office is based in Nairobi and personnel may be required to travel extensively to other UNOPS locations.
The Technical Services Unit (TSU) engages in multidisciplinary design, assessments and advisory work, and manages relationships with other technical stakeholders such as specialist design firms for high risk structures.
The Technical Services Unit (TSU) currently provides design services for infrastructure works to Project Managers. Recently the team has expanded its offering to include consulting services such as assessments, feasibility studies and advisory services on a wide range of infrastructure types. We want to continue and further expand technical services to our partners and clients at a wider field of operations.
The TSU currently has 16 permanent and 40+ retainer personnel including architects, civil engineers, structural engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, quantity surveyors, GIS and specialist infrastructure advisors (for dams, ICT and biomedical works) and CAD technicians as well as support personnel. Current projects are underway / imminent in Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, ESwatini, Zambia, Mozambique and Cameroon.
The TSU is a business unit for the Multi-Country office and comes under the direction of the Director for East and Southern Africa office (KEMC).
Under the overall supervision of the TSU Manager, the Senior Associate Geospatial, will be responsible for the following substantive tasks;
- Coordinate and monitor field data collection with the support of field personnel
- Identify datasets and employ appropriate geostatistical and spatial analysis techniques as required.
- Develop geodatabase and shapefiles as required
- Develop an infrastructure database in collaboration with engineering colleagues, including data entry and data management
- Produce GIS dashboards
- Assist in providing information for evidence-based master plans by verifying existing terrain and use the information for mapping
- Develop drawings and databases that will provide information on utilities network infrastructure
- Any other duties as directed by the Technical Services Unit manager.
- Secondary school education is required;
- University Degree in Geographic Information Systems and/or relevant field is an added advantage
- Seven (7) years experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is required;
- Experience developing and maintaining databases and MIS’s is desired;
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of database development is desired;
- Advanced knowledge of GIS and google suite products is desired;
- Proficient in the use of GIS/RS software such as ArcGIS, Erdas Imagine is desired;
- Knowledge of UN core values, rules and regulations is an asset.