Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
PLATFORM MANAGER – DEMOCRACY, GOVERNANCE & HUMAN RIGHTS (REF: ACT/PM-DHR/05/2021)
Act Change Transform (Act!) is a local Non-Governmental Organization whose mission is to facilitate the empowerment of marginalized people and communities in Kenya and neighboring countries, to become active participants in their development by enabling them to: stand up for their rights; demand good governance in the management of resources; participate in decision making processes; peacefully resolve conflicts; and sustainably manage natural resources. Act! does this through implementing partners, offering them capacity development, management of grants so that value for money is achieved and providing strategic leadership in national advocacy for the benefit of women, youth, people with disabilities and other marginalized communities.
The Platform Manager, Democracy, Governance & Human Rights (DHR) will be responsible for growing and providing strategic directions to the Democracy & Human Rights (DHR) portfolio through programme design and development, partnerships building and innovative resources, while building an effective team to implement the programmes within the portfolio. S/he ensures optimal utilization of resources allocate to the portfolio and management of staff within the DHR portfolio whilst ensuring responsiveness to the context and all initiatives are based on sound external analysis.
Specifically, the Platform Manager will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Support the CEO in providing strategic visioning, guidance and leadership to the DHR portfolio.
- Work closely with the Resource Mobilization teams in the identifying potential funders and initiatives to be undertaken by Act! specifically, the DHR Platform Manager will be responsible for identifying and provide leadership in responding to funding opportunities to support DHR work.
- Develop DHR detailed program work plans, including activity descriptions and manage the implementation of these activities so as to ensure the program’s activities and outputs are executed on time and to adequate quality standards.
- Ensure that current programs are delivered according to plan and that adequate consultation happens with key stakeholders.
- Ensure that staff and partners within existing programs in the platform engage effectively with communities, CSOs and Government partners.
- Ensure that the DHR portfolio undertakes regular analysis to inform its program interventions.
- Conduct follow-ups through site visits and mentor partners in areas of program/project design and implementation, reporting, strategic planning, advocacy, communication, building coalitions and networks.
- Provide oversight in budget preparation and tracking of all DHR programs within the portfolio.
- Provide oversight for all expenditure related to grants and administration within the portfolio.
- Provide updates to the CEO on the financial health of the DHR portfolio.
- Provide oversight to the budgeting process for all proposals submitted within the portfolio.
- Work closely with the Grants Manager and Finance Manager in providing up to date reports on partner’s performance and portfolio’s pipeline analysis.
- Promote constant search, consideration and development of funding proposals for the all program areas in line with the Act! Strategic Plan.
- Guide new business development/grant and fund raising and provide leadership of negotiations with donors and other potential financiers.
- Ensure continuous and harmonious relationships with existing and potential donors and other partners; in particular keep existing and potential resource providers apprised of Act!’s work, capabilities and successes.
- Lead and or provide oversight for contract or agreement negotiations with donors as well as with partners and sub-grantees.
- Lead in production, regular updating and dissemination of DHR portfolio’s marketing and capability statements to current and potential resource providers as well as other partners.
- In close collaboration with the HR Manager, provide leadership for the Performance Management of assigned staff within the DHR team.
- Provide mentoring and technical support to program officers, and ensure that officers supervising others do the same.
- Ensure that all staff within the platform are adequately supported to develop objectives and work-plans in line with their agreed objectives.
- Ensure that staff within the platform are adequately appraised.
- At commencement of every appraisal period, discuss with staff assigned to the DHR portfolio their performance targets for the period, ensure that these are agreed upon and signed off and deposited with HR Manager.
- Provide technical support to the program team within the portfolio.
- Work closely with the CEO and the Capacity Development Manager in delivering programs that are aligned and responsive to Act!s Capacity Development approach.
- Ensure that all capacity development support provided by the DHR portfolio meets and is consistent with Act! Capacity Development Quality standards.
- Assist where necessary in developing and operationalizing various capacity development initiatives including facilitation and training as required, and reviewing all technical training and facilitation guides produced by the programs.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting Learning and Adaptation (MERL&A)
- Working closely with the Head of MERL&A, support in designing and implementation of MERL&A plans for the DHR Portfolio.
- Develop publications/materials capturing lessons and successes in implementation of DHR and liaise with publicists for production.
- Coordinate research initiatives within the platform project and work with consultants on final products.
- Participate in setting program targets in line with overall strategic goal of the program.
- Provide up to date progress and impact reports to partners including beneficiaries and donors.
Representation and Networking
- Maintain good external linkages with all actors including government and the community.
- Establish and maintain regular contact with beneficiary groups and partner organizations, and to liaise and co-ordinate with the appropriate government and non-governmental bodies whenever appropriate to ensure successful project progress.
- Negotiate collaboration with partner institutions and government departments in support of Act!
- Represent the program and Act! at meetings, forums and processes to stay up to date with unfolding events or issues and ensure that Act! is best placed to advise donors and other stakeholders.
- You will be part of the core programme management team, charged with ensuring efficient delivery of the overall Act! program department goals within the broader framework of the organization.
- Participate in program planning and review meetings, and program co-ordination meetings.
- Contribute to the formulation and review of the platform strategy and business planning.
- Provide management support to the Act! CEO.
Key Performance Indicators
The following performance indicators are pertinent to the evaluation of the job holder’s performance (targets will be set on an annual basis):
- Compliance of program to donor, Act!’s and Government of Kenya requirements, standards and policies.
- Programs compliance with approved budgets.
- Timeliness in program implementation.
- Complement of qualified program staff in accordance with program structure and donor requirements.
- Timeliness, accuracy and completeness of quarterly and annual program reports.
- Completeness and accuracy of records for MERL&A.
- Level of staff engagement in the platform.
- Timeliness in provision of resources to programs.
- Number of new initiatives in program management or new programs.
Qualification, Experience and Skills:
Hold a Master’s degree in social sciences, development studies or postgraduate qualifications in any relevant fields.
Post graduate qualification in Project Management or specialized subject area relevant to the platform sector.
The successful jobholder should have at least 10 years’ experience in democracy and governance related program management, including budget oversight, grants management, proposal development, reporting and relationship building.
- Knowledge and experience with proven track record in Program Management
- Experience working in grant making and capacity development.
- Advanced level in written and spoken English.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Public Relations and representational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, Power-point and the use of Internet for research.
If you meet the requirements as contained in the position description, please submit (1) a detailed and current CV; (2) an Application Cover Letter demonstrating your suitability for the position, quoting your current/last gross remuneration (Mandatory) and names of three referees including their most current contact details on or before 16th June, 2021. All applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com quoting the reference number (ACT/PM-DHR/05/2021)and Position on the e-mail subject line**.** Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.