Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
HIAS is an international non-profit organization with a vision for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity. HIAS operation in Kenya was established in 2002 with the mission to serve the most vulnerable refugees through protection, resilience, economic inclusion and provision of durable solutions. Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Organizationally, HIAS is guided by its Refugee Rights Framework. This rights-based approach, based on international human rights, humanitarian and refugee law and practice, provides a programming framework for HIAS’ focus on refugee protection. This framework prioritizes programming impact that ensures forcibly displaced people realize their potential and become contributors to society, with this impact being achieved through the realization of legal and civil rights and social and economic rights including through: 1) the right to protection from harm, violence and discrimination, 2) the right to recovery from the shock of displacement, and 3) the right to economic self-sufficiency and inclusion.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, management and technical direction of HIAS Kenya Economic inclusion programming.
- Contribute to designing, planning and implementing HIAS livelihood activities which, include, but not limited to: trainings on livelihood opportunities, financial education, poverty alleviation programs worker’s rights, access to finance, and cash programming.
- Facilitate refugees to access employment – both formal and informal sectors, including working the private sector to raise awareness on refugee rights and support safe employment networks, to enable refugees find safe and dignified job opportunities.
- Contribute to the development of concept notes, and fundraising proposals as needed.
- Assist in the identification of strong local partners and potential program synergies to develop for future opportunities.
- Manage relevant projects and ensure the distribution of multipurpose cash assistance are conducted in a safe and accountable manner.
- Uphold the highest standard of confidentiality when managing records to ensure beneficiary dignity and privacy.
- Ensure that key learnings during project implementation are captured and used in future project design.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of HIAS Kenya special programs e.g., the Sexual Reproductive and Health Rights (SRHR) projects
- Lead in the production of quality and timely reports on program activities as required.
- Provide weekly/monthly reports to the Head of Programs, including accurate figures of distributions/referrals done and challenges encountered, in the agreed format
- Ensure that all project documents (including from previous implementation periods) are available, accurate, and archived in soft and hard copy according to HIAS procedures
Representation and Coordination
- Develop, coordinate and strengthen relationships with local partners, stakeholders and communities in order to maintain trust in HIAS’s professional standard and quality of work among all stakeholders;
- Represent HIAS externally at the site level in relation to Economic Inclusion project activities, and other livelihoods coordination fora with other agencies.
- Ensure coordination with other INGOs, government bodies and other HIAS technical departments (Protection, GBV, Psychosocial);
- Advocate with private sector companies on the economic inclusion of HIAS clients.
Operations and Budget Management
- Contribute to the effective implementation of operations support activities related to Livelihoods Program, including related to administration, finances and logistics, so as to ensure smooth project implementation.
- Provide inputs to ensure effective and efficient utilization of livelihoods program resources through monitoring and tracking of expenditures against budgets;
Training & Capacity Development
- Train livelihoods program staff in various technical areas through internal or external facilitation, including formal and informal interactions;
- Contribute to the timely performance & development management measures for the livelihoods program staff, including appraisals and remedial actions.
- Conduct other tasks as may be required.
- Coordinate with the HQ technical team on programs implementation, training, best practices and any other aspect related to the program implementation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in economics, Social Sciences, International development, or other relevant fields
- Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, international development, economics or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience within the field of livelihoods and/or Gender/SRHR in humanitarian work.
Skills & Competencies
- Experience working with vulnerable populations on economic inclusion/livelihood work.
- Experience implementing the livelihood approaches used in humanitarian programming including the graduation model approach, Entrepreneurship school with a gender lens, poverty alleviation programs mentoring refugees on livelihood interventions etc will be an added advantage.
- Experience designing and implementing Gender and SRHR projects.
- Experience of preparing successful funding proposals for donors
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English