Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req17309
Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The Senior Finance Officer has overall responsibility for supporting the finance functions for the IRC Dadaab Field Office. The Senior Finance Officer responsibilities include internal control, accounting data base management, reconciliation and verification of payment, staff training, and management, budget and treasury and cash management functions.
- Ensures that all policies and procedures are following IRC and funding source policies, procedures, and requirements.
- As required establishes finance and supporting function policies, systems and procedures, and directs or performs their development, documentation, and implementation.
- Manages the finance staff activities and schedules to meet the financial reporting requirements and deadlines as per IRC and donors’ policies.
- Closely monitors all financial activities and keeps the Field Coordinator & Finance Coordinator advised on all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
- Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
New proposal Budget Development
- Working with program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals at the Field Level.
- Conduct a detailed preparation of existing grant budget revisions ensuring that all costs are covered and are not under/over budgeted in addition to accurate use of the IRC’s and the donor budget formats.
Grant Management & Reporting
- Prepare the monthly Budget Versus Actual (BVA) reports for grants assigned to the position and distribute on time.
- Provide monthly analysis for per grant after each month closing and provide recommendation for the budget holders to ensure accurate grants’ spending.
- Review the budget spending plans and advise relevant staff on spending status and ask for feedback on all over/under spending.
- Prepare and update spending plans for all active grants in coordination with the appropriate budget holders.
- Review the commitments lists from Supply chain, Admin& Human Resources to ensure no double capturing of date on the BvA system.
- Participate in the periodic Grant review, opening and closing meetings and present the spending status.
- Provide support and feedback to Operations and Program Coordinators and Managers for all questions regarding the BVAs.
- In compliance with donor requirements propose and prepare adjustments entries, attaching all supporting documents for finance records and posting into SUN system.
- Preparing Donor Financial reports for all grants for review by the Finance Manager Finance. Make sure the reports comply to donor reporting formats and timely submitted as per contractual requirements.
- Provide analysis of grants spending plan vs. actual spending.
- Review PRs and ensure compliance with IRC & Donor regulations before signing. All Operational Costs to be charged to the correct POOLs.
- Follow up / make sure that all budgets are uploaded on the BVA in the accurate way and according to donor format.
- Analyzing, monitoring, and reporting/addressing all budget excesses
- Track the spending on support costs and provide quarterly analysis for the purpose of any budget amendments or new budgets.
- Monthly Field Office Salary Map update
Payment Processing and Payroll.
- Review payments to the set limit ensuring completeness and adherence to procurement procedures and minimum documentation.
- Supervisor to ensure payments are properly recorded on the tracking sheet between other departments & Finance.
- Ensure timely processing of payments to vendors and beneficiaries.
- Represent finance during tender committees.
- Review & Ensure Timely Processing of Incentive staff payroll.
Treasury and Cash Flow Management
- Supervises all Field office bank relations and bank account activities.
- In compliance with IRC policy establishes & Advice on policies regarding cash holding limits, cash movements.
- Oversees the timely preparation, review and approval of all Field Office monthly bank account and cash reconciliations.
- Supervises the preparation of Cash Transfer Requests to Main Office and ensures that appropriate balances are maintained at the Field Office Bank Account to facilitate grant implementation.
- Supervises the collection of contractual and other receivables.
- Review internal system of record retention to ensure compliance with IRC policy and the local laws.
- Ensure maintenance of uniform standards for documentation, including forms, support documents etc.
- Ensure sufficient procedures for retention of documents; proper and systematic filing for ease of access.
- Control access to financial records to authorized staff only.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance with a recognized professional certificate in accounting such as CPA, or ACCA.
- Not less than 3 years at a senior level within the Finance Department of an international organization. Experience in the humanitarian sector will be an added advantage
- Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems, standard spreadsheet and database programs is an asset.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Good written and verbal skills in the English language.
- Must be comfortable in being a proactive member of the Field Office top-management team. Must seek to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management appropriate to effect solutions.
- Must be able to function effectively in a loosely structured, but complex work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements
- Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the program organization.
- Must be a patient and good communicator who can function in an organizational environment involving a diversity of cultures, languages, and personal interests and agendas.
- Good at role of facilitator and team player in solving problems.
- Committed to staff training and development.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers are required to conform to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and implements policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other encouraging benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.