Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
At M-KOPA, our aim is to increase access to life-improving technologies at huge scale. We do this through an innovative credit model – pay-as-you-go asset financing – of which M-KOPA was an early global pioneer. With offices in Nairobi, Kampala, Lagos, and London, M-KOPA serves over 1 million low-income households in Sub-Saharan Africa. Since its commercial launch in 2012, M-KOPA has made its name in off-grid solar power, providing customers with solar panels and solar-powered lights, televisions, radios, fridges, and more – this is often our customers’ first access to electricity.
M-KOPA’s affordable credit model can also be applied to assets beyond off-grid solar power, and in 2019, we began providing credit for smartphones, which enables our customers to move from feature phones to smartphones and improve their connectivity, communication, and information access. Today, smartphone financing is a rapidly growing business line – with enormous opportunities for innovation and increasing our customer impact.
M-KOPA currently employs over 1,000 full-time staff across its operating countries. We value progress, innovation, pragmatism, collaboration, and – most of all – our customers. We have been well recognised for our pioneering business model and scale.
This position is an “engineering management” position where both words carry equal weight. You will lead a team of 2-4 software engineers to deliver high quality outputs. You will line-manage the engineers on your team directly, and also play a strong coordinating role with collaborating team members from product and QA. On a week-to-week basis you will be your team’s lead architect, standard-setting developer, and day-to-day mentor – within the context of a relatively flat organization that values collaboration and peer learning. Beyond your work with your team, you will also coordinate closely with other engineering team leads within the organization on the iterative development of shared standards/approaches.
Education: A degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience / self-directed learning. (We care much more about your skills than about how you acquired them)
Experience: At least 5+ years of experience working as a professional software engineer/architect on medium/large scale distributed systems
Knowledge / Skills:
- Experience designing/managing large-scale distributed systems in production, and with the design of small, flexible services that will scale gracefully as loads grow and requirements evolve.
- Experience with deploying/managing cloud applications at scale (Azure preferred), and with containerization + infrastructure-as-code.
- An understanding of how to determine bounded contexts for service domains, and a comfort working with product managers + business stakeholders to architect software in a way that represents those domains with high fidelity.
- Comfort with the devops culture, and with the idea of being involved with the management of the systems that you build through their entire lifecycle.
- Recent experience writing production code, and an interest in continuing to do so.
- Comfort owning large portions of work, including the design + evolution of entire services/applications.
- Comfort/excitement with direct people management and hiring
- Experience with C# would be an asset but, for the right candidate, experience with any object-oriented language can easily substitute.
- Experience building software for the financial services industry would be an asset.
In this remote role, we can offer a full time permanent contract of employment to candidates resident in the UK, Kenya, Uganda or Nigeria, where our offices are based, together with a competitive salary (dependent on skills and experience), company bonus (dependent on company performance and OKRs), and a range of company benefits. For applicants who are resident in countries outside of where our offices are based and within the required time zone (-1/+3 hours UTC), we can offer a 3 year consultancy contract, together with a freelance daily rate and an annual bonus incentive.
When COVID travel restrictions allow, you may be required on an occasional basis to travel as part of your role.
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
M-KOPA reserve the right to close or extend this job advert dependent on the number of quality applicants received.
- Bachelor’s Degree
Apply by 16th August 2021