Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In the Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
The Regenerative Agricultural practices for improved Livelihoods and Markets (REALMS) project aims to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers in Western Kenya and Western Rwanda through creating conditions for the adoption of regenerative agricultural practices. Both project areas are characterized by high population growth and increased demand for food, increasingly degraded lands, fragile landscapes and weakened livelihoods. By creating the appropriate conditions for the adoption by smallholders of regenerative agricultural practices the REALMS project will tackle these challenges.
SNV is seeking an experienced professional agronomist with expertise in areas of conservation agriculture, agroecology, soil conservation and climate smart agricultural practices. The position holder will be responsible for guiding adoption of regenerative agricultural practices by farmers and agro-enterprises. S/he will coordinate with the project team and partners to contribute to analysis that will identify and stimulate investments for effective regenerative production systems. S/he will provide support to SMEs and farmer groups/cooperatives on the most appropriate climate integration strategies, which enhance income of producers and agribusinesses. The incumbent will contribute to the joint learning of smallholder producers agro-enterprises adoption of regenerative agriculture.
- Provide appropriate and targeted technical advice or assistance to REALMS, project staff and consultants on activities linked to the project.
- Mentor and coach staff members and partner CSO partners on green growth agenda
- Develop and apply training methods appropriate to the needs of the smallholder farmers and their organizations
- Gather and manage relevant knowledge (e.g. training materials such as manuals)
- Act as a focal point for any potential research project related to agronomy in the REALMS project
- Act as focal point for potential research initiative in liaison with the M&E Officer
- Support partner organizations in their awareness raising and agroecology capacity linked to increasing adoption of regenerative and circular food systems especially by the smallholder farmers.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of partner organizations in all activities related to REALMS.
- Support and accompany the partner organizations in developing and applying their own monitoring systems as well as assessing and managing the risks
- Ensure strong communication and co-ordination with partner organizations, target groups and key stakeholders related to the regenerative agriculture and agroecology
- Revise reports submitted by partner organizations regarding issues linked to REALMS
- Submit visit reports to coordination office after each project visit
- Network with like-minded organizations in the field of agronomy in close collaboration with the other REALMS colleagues.
- At least a Bachelors degree and preferably a Masters level in Agriculture, Horticulture, Agronomy, soil and water sciences, or related field from a recognized university.
- At least 5 years in promotion of conservation agriculture, climate smart agriculture, and soil and water conservation.
- Experience working with farmers and demonstrated experience as an advisor on agronomy, sustainable agriculture and organic farming with proved competences in one or several of the following fields: agroforestry, bio intensive gardening, sustainable land management practices, mixed cultivation, seed production and storage, climate change adaptation and mitigation, water harvesting and/or disaster risk reduction
- Proven competences in knowledge management and dissemination
- Proven competences in project management and PCM instruments
- Experience with working with farmers’ groups and agro-enterprises with special attention to gender integration and social inclusivity approaches.
- Excellent written and oral skills in English and Kiswahili
- Excellent IT-skills (word, excel, power point)
- Ability to plan, set priorities and multitask
- Proven ability to work autonomously, in teams and multidisciplinary
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; networking skills an asset
- Knowledge and experience in participatory approaches, gender approaches and/or working with youth an asset
Contract Duration: 2 years
Desired Start Date: 1st August 2021
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I AM INTERESTED” tab on this page and submitting an application letter and CV that contains three referees in English before 13th July 2021.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment