Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Educate! is seeking an Administration Officer to support a new Out of School Youth Program in our Kenya office. We are looking for someone who will be responsible for the smooth running of the administration department and building of a service-oriented culture to support program implementation. This is someone who is organized, flexible, driven, knowledgeable and eager to learn more about all facets of Admin and operations.
Educate! is growing fast and with this growth we are looking for individuals excited to work and grow in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment. As an Admin officer you will work in a high-performance culture with a motivated and supportive team of talented individuals, including our global talent team. This is a unique opportunity for the right person to help build the HR function in our Kenya office as part of a team that makes recruiting and talent development a top priority.
Educate prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. We are a non-profit social enterprise with 150 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors.
We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with schools and governments to reform what schools teach and how they teach it so that students in Africa have the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2019, we partnered with the government to pilot in 60+ schools in Kenya, worked in 275+ secondary schools in Rwanda, and 800+ schools in Uganda (25% of the country), reaching over 46,000 students intensively and 470,000 more broadly. Two rigorous external evaluations, including a randomized controlled trial, found that towards the end of secondary school, our program participants earn nearly DOUBLE the income of their peers. A follow-up RCT found that four years later, our graduates demonstrate large and durable shifts in skills, coupled with significant improvements in education and gender equity-related outcomes. Girls achieve even greater results. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, who leveraged both his medical education and the transferable and business skills gained through Educate! to open a rural health clinic in his community employing two people and conducting about 350 checkups per month.
Educate!’s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
Administration Strategy (10%)
- Manage admin goals in line with Kenya annual strategy.
- Conduct regular risk assessment to create or quickly adjust plans due to anticipated problems.
- Put in place checks and balances to exceed departmental annual goals and work plan activities.
- Anticipate capacity gaps and create innovative solutions.
- Network and research to suggest new possibilities; try new ways of doing things using cutting-edge technology.
- Design admin tracking and information systems for scale.
- Guide management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing organization values.
Procurement Coordination (50%)
- Lead procedure compliance in all procurements, document lack of compliance and conduct spot checks to ensure compliance.
- Prepare procurement documentation according to approved procedures for internal and external use
- Ensure all procurements are documented, complete & accurate in compliance with relevant laws and Educate! policies and procedures.
- Anticipate procurement needs to pre-select competitive vendors, and create systems to track and strategically guard against common procurement challenges.
- Build & maintain strong professional relationships with vendors
- Conduct reasonable market research before procurement, and keep a keen eye on cost cutting through out the bidding process.
- Conduct formal quality checks, and document feedback between end user, admin dept. and vendors
- Formally seek and document feedback from end–users to implement recommendations
Resources Management (25%)
- Manage admin budgets. Reallocate funds and choose activities in line with approved budgets and strategy.
- Prepare budget proposals, create detailed budgets for come up projects, review Operations BvA reports
- Prepare maintenance, testing and inspection schedules for upkeep of facility, recurring needs and quality.
- Complete assessment of basic facilities as scheduled, oversee repairs and renovation of the often-used facilities and communicate facilities updates to all staff.
- Enforce security protocol for office, equipment & supplies, oversee distribution of keys, staff I.Ds, helmets, induction training logistics and orientation to safety procedures.
- Inventory, equipment and asset management – ensure availability of inventory at all times
Logistics Management (15%)
- Lead organization-wide filing system in Google Drive, coordinated with segregation by department, controls on access, standard ordering of files.
- Communicate office space organization and allocation by labelling of different rooms, equipment, and storage spaces by function.
- Track office/NGO registration and permits with national government, local authorities, and landlords.
- Ensure storage and distribution of E! materials is cost effective and timely, as well as compliant to E! procedures and the law.
- Events and guest management, both virtual and physical – ensure Educate! events are cost effective, on time, and that local and international guests get a pleasant experience.
- Procedures for telephone messages, reception, and E! office tours are formal and monitored to ensure quality.
- Offer support with work permit applications for our expatriates when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Social Work & Social Administration or any relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience.
- Systems oriented, high integrity, excellent customer service, general management and strong personality. Experience in multitasking in a fast – paced environment, set priorities, work independently as well as thrive a team. Fits our Five Cultural Tenets: Youth First, Always Learning, Only Solve a Problem Once, Exceed Expectations and Flexible and Open Minded
- Intermediate Excel skills, using online project management and collaboration tools, advanced report writing, budgeting, relationship building, customer service, critical thinking and communication skills required.
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include a generous vacation policy and medical insurance.
- This position will be based in our office in Nairobi.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!