Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position title: Project Officer-Greening Kaptagat
Reports to: National Forest Programme Manager
Career Level: TBD
The “Greening Kaptagat: Establishing agroforestry and clean energy solutions within a forest-based landscape in Kenya” project aims to address carbon emissions from deforestation, forest degradation and farming as well as biodiversity and poverty challenges in Kaptagat landscape by adopting an integrated approach to achieve the outcome: By 2022, project interventions in the Kaptagat landscape create the foundations for further work over the coming 5 years that will reduce emissions, contribute to poverty alleviation, address land degradation, and influence county, national and global and global climate change policy commitments. The project will form an exemplar for scale up and replication towards achieving Kenya’s revised Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) to reduce emissions by 32% against the BAU scenario of 143 MtCO2eq and other develop goals. It will contribute to the larger “Rehabilitation and Restoration of the Elgeyo Hills-Cherangany Ecosystem Masterplan”. This masterplan covers two water towers – including Kaptagat Forest – and 22 gazetted forest blocks in the four counties of Elgeyo Marakwet, Uasin Gishu, Trans Nzoia and Baringo. The project will work with communities, government (national and county) authorities and private sector on ecosystem restoration, sustainable management of natural resources and the integration of clean energy & sustainable agriculture into policies and plans. The project is supported by the UK PACT (Partnering for Accelerated Climate Transitions) through the Green Recovery Challenge Fund (GRCF) that supports low-carbon transitions and a green, resilient and inclusive economic recovery. It will be implemented for one year starting on 1st June 2021.
To coordinate the implementation of the WWF–Kenya’s Greening Kaptagat: Establishing agroforestry and clean energy solutions within a forest-based landscape in Kenya project in Elgeyo-Marakwet County in line with the project proposal/ document. The project makes a direct contribution to the aims and objectives of WWF Kenya Strategic Plan 2020-2030.
Roles and responsibilities
- Responsible for coordinating all project activities in line with work plans/ action plans;
- Manage day-to-day operations of the project, which include effective administration and tracking of project finances, project workplan, project monitoring and evaluation, timely preparation of reports to WWF-Kenya, for onward submission to donor and effective coordination and cooperation between project partners;
- Review and collect essential baseline data, the co-creation of appropriate implementation approaches including an integrated landscape restoration plan and the establishment of related monitoring systems.
- Provide technical support in project planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Leads in the assessments and reporting of progress, outcomes and impacts against project implementation and workplans/action plans including quality assurance and conservation innovations.
- Ensures compliance of programme development and implementation with WWF Kenya Strategic Plan 2020-2030, WWF Network Standards and government policies as appropriate.
- Prepares and presents periodic technical reports on the progress of implementation of project activities including timely donor reporting in the designated area.
- Promotes partnership development with relevant communities, CSOs, national & county governments as well as with private sector as needed.
- Ensures the confirmation and documentation of free, prior and informed consent of the target groups, the implementation and monitoring of safeguards according to WWF’s ESS Framework, the mitigation of identified risks and the establishment of a grievance mechanism in close cooperation with the respective WWF-Kenya focal persons
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager
Key Skills/ Competencies
- Project administration and management
- Knowledgeable in contemporary issues in agriculture, forestry and/or related natural resources management sector such as climate change.
- Excellent skills in stakeholder engagement including local communities and partnership building
- Monitoring and evaluation experience
- Proven problem solving and conflict management skills
- Technical report writing
- Organizational and communication skills
- Negotiation and contract management skills
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to network and to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels.
- Financial management skills
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement strategic initiatives within the context of conservation, natural resource management, national development, and/or other related fields.
- Good understanding and working relations with diverse partners including national and county governments.
- Must have a good command of computer skills. Knowledge of GIS software will be an added advantage.
- Identifies and aligns with the core values of the WWF organization: Courage, Integrity, Respect and Collaboration.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in forestry, natural resource management, environmental science, agriculture or related field of studies.
- A master’s degree and other additional professional trainings in related fields will be an added advantage.
- At least five years of field experience in natural resources management issues with specific background and experience in forest resource management, agro-forestry extension or climate change related work in Kenya
- Must have a good understanding of forest conservation initiatives in Kenya, resource assessment at national & local level, addressing socio-economic factors, resource threats impacting the landscape & key farm forestry/forest resources, developing and implementing conservation plans.
- Facilitate, where appropriate, the development of joint actions and initiatives emerging from CSO collaboration and network
- A proven ability to work effectively with local Civil Society Organizations and facilitating links between government and communities.
Internal: Interacts with the Programme Managers (Kenya Rift Lakes, Sustainable Investments, Forestry), Head of Conservation Programmes and Advocacy, Energy & Climate Officer, Communications Manager, other Thematic Leads and Coordinators among other WWF Kenya staff.
External: Interacts with WWF Network, National and County government ministries and departments, regulatory bodies, Civil Society Organisations, other conservation agencies.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
How to apply?
Please apply with your CV and cover letter as one file with the Job Title of Position Applied for on the subject line to the HR & Administration Manager, WWF- Kenya: firstname.lastname@example.org to be received not later than 16th July 2021. We will not accept applications without a CV and cover letter.
Work permit restrictions may apply.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce.