Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
1. Lead the Research Methods and Innovation vertical
- Set the agenda for Busara’s portfolios of product development, internal research and research tool creation.
- Set quarterly vertical objectives in product development, internal research, and internal research tool creation.
- Determine the priorities for product development, using “research value add” as a guiding principle.
- Determine the most important areas for internal methodological research for improving Busara’s processes, by specifically reducing the cost and increasing the robustness of remote research methods.
- Determine the most important areas within ethical research practices and cross-cultural research to push forward.
- Manage a team of research specialists and officers, their work portfolio, and their career and skills growth.
- Manage the connection of PhD students who are interested in working with Busara to internal research projects.
- Review outputs and track timelines of product development and internal research.
2. Set research agendas and help design internal experimental research projects.
- Work with research specialists to set agendas for methodological, ethical, and cross-cultural research, and help ideate research questions and avenues of exploration and prioritization within these areas.
- Assist research specialists in the design of internal experiments in the above areas.
- Design internal experimental research projects in the above areas, including generating research questions, experimental designs, pre-analysis plans, and in some cases developing research instruments. In some cases, Research Leads will directly manage such projects.
- Ensure the translation of methodological and ethical research results and output into tool-kits, guidelines, thought pieces, conceptual pieces, and working papers, and manage their dissemination internally and externally.
3. Product development management
- Manage the development of Busara’s key research products in partnership with the software development teams. This includes providing strategic direction and a view on researcher needs and priorities, with a mind to making tools easy and efficient and cost-effective, and that aid high-quality data.
- Manage the roll-out of these products internally, to ensure that research teams can utilize these and that internal feedback on products is collated and delivered to the software development team to inform fixes and new feature development.
- Manage the rollout of these products to external parties.
4. General duties
- Ensure research specialists provide ‘office hours support’ to other teams for technical research questions.
- Review projects division research outputs (pre-analysis plans, experimental designs, analysis outputs etc.) on a piecemeal basis to ensure technical quality.
- Support Busara training on an ad-hoc basis, specifically in experimental design.
- Assist with the development of internal documents to support Labs’ Division operations.
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, or related fields.
- Strong knowledge of the experimental social science literature (economics, political science, psychology)
- Experience designing lab and/or field experiments
- Strong analytical and writing skills
- 3+ years previous work experience in a related field
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player.
- ‘Research mindset’ – the ability to look at a body of knowledge and identify gaps and priority areas for future exploration.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, with fluency in English.
- Previous experience conducting research in developing countries.
- Experience creating broad research agendas.
- Experience working in the development of ‘systems’ within research organizations.
- Extensive experience in the management of data collection in developing countries.
- Experience designing methodological or research tool-based research.
- A PhD in Economics, Public Policy, Social Sciences, or related fields.
- Strong skills in econometrics and programming (STATA, Python, R, Matlab)
- Familiarity with and interest in behavioral economics or science
- Experience managing or mentoring staff
At Busara we embed behavioral science into everything we do, including the hiring process. In an effort to de-bias ourselves from what we know can cause systematic hiring discrimination, we do as many things as possible blindly and objectively. For you, that means you have to fill out the questions on the application as well as upload your CV. I know, this is infuriating, but it’s not because we’re lazy — it’s because we are going to blindly review candidates based on the answers to your questions as well as their education and experience, and consider full CVs in future stages of the process. Thus, it’s very important for you to fill out the questions completely, without mention of your name or any other potentially biasing information about yourself.