Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
DRC began operating in Kenya in 2005 with assistance to refugees and displacement-affected communities via implementation of protection and livelihoods activities. DRC works in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps, as well as in Nairobi and Mombasa to assist urban-based refugees, and in Mandera County implementing a 3-year cross-border resilience programme. In Kakuma, DRC’s programme supports refugee youth and adolescents with life skills, resilience, training and scholarships alongside livelihood and vocational skills development. DRC has recently acquired implementing partner status of UNHCR and will be implementing protection related activities in Kalobeyei camp – which is a new camp opened near the Kakuma refugee camp.
Overall purpose of the role:
Based in Kakuma with regular travel to field locations and reporting to the Area Manager, the Communication Assistant will be responsible for providing project and operational support in strengthening overall communication and visibility in Kakuma The selected candidate will be responsible for coordinating external communications, documentation, filing, coordinating communications for DRC events and liaising with Area Manager and field teams to ensure timely support to operational locations. He/She will support in disseminating information to Kakuma and Country office staff and will support project delivery.
- Ensure the DKI TV Collection project Communication and visibility guidelines are adhered to. Preparation and development of various publications and visibility materials on Kakuma. Provide support in the development and production of visibility materials including liaising with designers, print houses, etc.
- Develop social media content for DRC DDG projects in Kakuma with the support of the Program Coordinator and the DRC regional communications officer.
- Support programme teams in documenting knowledge products and their publication.
- Conduct field visits to collect both written and visual documentation in the form of photography, videos, human interest stories and case studies.
- Develop, design and maintain a bi-monthly project newsletter for Kakuma.
- Supervise videographers and graphic designers to produce compelling, quality content / publications.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, website content, and other IEC material that communicates the Kakuma activities.
- Conduct regular communications training and capacity building for staff in Kakuma in line with DRC and key donor communication and visibility guidelines.
- Ensure all communications activities and products adhere to responsible data, protection and accountability principles which DRC adheres to.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, media houses and audiences in Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
2. Programme Support
- Support project implementation processes as directed by the Area Manager. Play a focal role in the project Inception Phase that involves ensuring communication and visibility plans are in place and incorporated in implementation and procurement plans for projects.
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team in summarizing and presenting information from assessments that highlight achievements, lessons and recommendations with key internal and external stakeholders
- Prepare and update briefing materials for high level meetings, publicity, and advocacy in collaboration with the DRC field and country office staff.
- Ensure that all key DKI program documentations are filed and easily accessible and retrievable
- Monitor and check project communication deliverables for compliance with commitments in project documents as well donor and DRC communication and visibility guidelines (in collaboration with Child Protection Team Leader and AM).
- Together with the Area Manager, organize and coordinate visits by donors, government authorities, country team members, regional or headquarter staff
3. Coordination & Partnership
- Promote coordination and integration with other sectors within DRC Kakuma and ensure full coordination with communities and community-leaders.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with communities. In particular, attend the Communicating with Communities working group meetings and participate in coordination activities related to development and dissemination of harmonized messaging to communities.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication / media studies, or a social science related degree.
- Minimum 1-year working experience working in the field of communication (public relations, print and electronic media) with INGOs or media organization
- Solid experience with multidisciplinary teams; Working with colleagues and collaborators of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills (both written and spoken). Ability to take good quality pictures and video captions and translate the same into catchy messaging on social media platforms.
- Experience and excellent skills in preparing periodic updates, newsletters, reports
- Good networking skills required
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; well organized, and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Able to adapt to changing program priorities and emergency priorities that may arise
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiative.
- Good planning and organizational skills coupled with problem solving capabilities
- Hands-on community mobilization skills
- Experience in working with refugees, internally displaced persons will be an added advantage.
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel to the field locations
- Working knowledge of MS Office as well as photo and video-editing applications
- Bachelor’s Degree in (Communication, Social Work or any other Social Sciences)
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Swahili.
DRC Core Competencies:
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract: 5 months contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council terms of employment for National staff.
Availability: August 2021
Duty station: Kakuma (Qualifies for RnR only, not accommodation).
Internal: Kakuma Protection, Livelihoods and AVR implementation teams, Support Services team, MEAL team, CO, RO and HQ communications teams
External: Local government authorities, Other NGOs, Donors – DK TV Collection, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNICEF, DANIDA, ECHO, etc, CSOs/CBOs in Kakuma and Kalobeyei
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html)
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications, which should include a 1-page cover letter clearly stating their motivation, and qualifications and a CV. Applications should include contact details of three professional referees who have supervised the candidate in the last five years. One referee must be the applicant’s most recent manager. Only applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on http://www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Applications should be sent no later than 21st July 2021.
DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, female candidates and those from minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!