Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req18897
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kakuma, Kenya
The Laboratory Technologist will actively contribute in the improvement of quality of care by ensuring quality laboratory services are delivered to the beneficiaries. He/she will be supervising all laboratory assistants and will capacity build them through laboratory assistants training and on bench trainings. He/She will be answerable to Senior Laboratory Technologist.
- Perform Laboratory investigations as per clinician’s request and ensure accurate, reliable and timely results.
- Maintain order and smooth flow of patients.
- Participate in in-service training and regular on bench refresher courses for Kenyan and refugee staff.
- Ensure that all relevant records are updated and maintained.
- Monitor and supervise proper usage of laboratory reagents.
- Maintain Laboratory machines in good order- cleaning and covering after use.
- Ensure general laboratory cleanliness is maintained.
- Report any unusual statistics or observations to the laboratory in-charge.
- Ensure SOPS are used at all times.
- Ensuring safety procedures in the laboratory are maintained.
- Preparing of stains, reagents and solutions necessary for all lab tests.
- Participate in the department planning and forecasting of laboratory supplies.
- Monitor proper safety standards in the laboratory.
- Organize biological samples for shipment.
- Writing and reviewing SOPs.
- Timely submission of weekly, monthly and quartly reports.
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability.
- Performing laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations.
- Supervise laboratory assistants in collaboration with the senior lab technologist to ensure work is done properly.
- Countercheck all work done by lab assistants.
- Ensure laboratory tests are performed accurately and timely
- Ensure revised SOPs are used in all testing procedures.
- Ensure proper collection, packaging and transportation of laboratory samples to Nairobi hospital and/or other outsourced center.
- Ensure proper storage of laboratory reagents and cold chain system to avoid compromised reagents that may lead to false reporting.
Reporting and Coordination:
- Ensure all laboratory reports are done on time and sent to Supervisor, HIS, HM and other offices as may be indicated.
- Notify your supervisor on all investigations above the normal threshold.
- Report any laboratory incidents to the senior lab technologist.
- Carry out any other duty assigned by your supervisor
Key Result Areas
- Quality of lab services- reliable and timely.
- Cleaning and orderliness of the workplace
- FIFO and FEFO application in stock management
- Training of lab assistants’ course and other CME
- Timely reporting.
- Diploma in medical laboratory sciences.
- MUST be registered by KMLTTB.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- 3 years’ experience in clinical laboratories.
- Experience working with non profitable organization
- Flexibility at work.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Team player
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.