Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
HUMAN RESOURCES (HR) DIRECTOR
Information & Application Pack
First round interviews are provisionally scheduled to take place via video conference mid–August. Final interviews will take place in-person or via video conference end of August, location TBD based on applications.
Launched in 2004, Crisis Action is a pioneering organisation that works behind the scenes to enable civil society to respond more effectively to armed conflict. Crisis Action’s unique model and record of impact earned the organisation the 2012 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions and the 2013 Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship. We value and supports a diverse working environment and strongly encourages applications from women, people of colour, people with lived experience of conflict, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ and gender non-conforming people. We are looking for an exceptional, passionate, and dynamic Human Resource Director to help drive forward and enhance the impact and effectiveness of our work. If you’re hungry for a challenge, have creativity and energy and think you can help us and our partners influence some of the world’s most powerful people, then go to http://www.crisisaction.org for an application pack.
About Crisis Action
We serve the goals of the coalitions we build, taking neither policy positions nor profile. It is the voice of the coalition that counts. We work through innovative campaigns that shift power towards populations at risk from conflict and spur action to ensure the safety and rights of these populations are prioritised in line with international human rights and humanitarian law. We strive to empower those we work with and also provide platforms for those with direct experience of conflicts to tell their stories and speak truth to power. We are an international, independent, and not-for-profit, with a diverse global team of about 50 people strategically located where decisions to protect and prevent conflict and abuses are made. We have presence in Addis Ababa, Beirut, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, Nairobi, New York, Paris and Washington DC.
We are currently working to save lives in Syria, the Sahel, South Sudan and Yemen. We continually monitor other potential and actual conflicts and engage in shorter-term “emergency response” campaigns, recently including Nagorno-Karabakh, Myanmar, Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories and Mozambique.
“Crisis Action’s energy and strategic approach to tackling conflict around the world is a model we can all learn from.” Oby Ezekwesili, Co-founder of the #BringBackOurGirls movement
“Crisis Action continues to prove that its model works and has impact. We repeatedly see that policymakers are more likely to take stronger and more effective action when NGOs coordinate and collaborate. Crisis Action helps make this happen.” Kenneth Roth, Executive Director, Human Rights Watch
“I paint murals on the walls of Sana’a so that the innocent victims of Yemen’s vicious war will not be forgotten. Crisis Action brought my work to the attention of the media – and now the whole world must face up to the horror happening in my city.” Haifa Subay, Yemeni street artist
“Crisis Action demonstrates the impact of strategic, coordinated advocacy in an era of increasing threats to civilians in conflicts around the globe. With new challenges to global cooperation, Crisis Action’s model of helping civil society work together is more essential than ever.” David Miliband, President and CEO, International Rescue Committee.
Title: Human Resources (HR) Director
Responsible to: Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Starting date: 1st November 2021(or earlier)
Location: Preferably our Beirut Office or any of our Africa Offices – Addis Ababa, Joburg/Pretoria, or Nairobi
Travel: Required, (up to 20%)
Crisis Action is excited to seek applications from candidates from the Global South (preferably from Africa or the Middle East ) to join our team as the Human Resources Director. This is a key strategic role within our organisation and requires exceptional leadership, focus, commitment, and a proven executional drive. We are, therefore, looking for a talented growth-minded individual. The role demands an ability to balance between the aspirational – setting the vision for talent across the organisation with the gravitas and confidence to influence senior stakeholders while focusing on the operational. All these should embed the right policies and processes to drive high performance. The HR Director shall function as a strategic leader, providing direction and input and serving as a wise guide and advisor to senior management; an authority on HR policies, practices, and resources.
We are searching for a dynamic leader to develop and lead best-in-class policies and benefits, recruitment, learning and leadership development programming that will encourage staff wellbeing, inclusion, and resilience. The Human Resource Director shall work closely with the Senior Management Team, Office Directors, and the entire organisaton to preserve and enhance Crisis Action’s unique culture. The person shall provide guidance and leadership to ensure Crisis Action’s global team remains a fantastic place to work; initiate and drive the organisation’s Human Resources (HR) projects. The person shall be responsible for improving Crisis Action’s HR Systems and driving forward different HR Projects to make Crisis Action a better place to work. The Human Resources Director is supported by the Human Resources Officer in implementation of the projects and undertaking routine HR activities.
You are a proactive people person and you like to be hands on. You are comfortable in a fast-paced but fun and highly supportive environment that is laser-focused on impact. You will be supremely organised and adept at ruthless prioritisation. You understand the value of empathy and kindness and impeccable delivery. You will need to hit the ground running and be ready to engage with your new colleagues to support them.
The principal duties of the role include:
- Lead HR Strategy, Policy Development and Implementation: You shall provide strategic direction and leadership on the development of the appropriate HR strategies and policies that ensure we identify, attract, develop, and retain the superstars we need to fulfil our mission; Offer expert advice, guidance, support, and delivery on a world-class suite of tools to ensure all staff are thriving and well; advise the Senior Management Team and office directors on key aspects of organisational HR strategy; develop and regularly update the Employee Handbook and all associated HR policies.
- Team Leadership and Championing our Organisational Culture: While championing diversity, equity, and inclusion across the organisation, you shall play a critical role in helping shape the vision for, and experience of, Crisis Action’s geographically dispersed work environment to ensure equity, alignment with our culture and core values. You shall help to create an inviting, appreciative and cohesive team -experience, and support in ensuring Crisis Action’s organisational culture is well captured, lived, and breathed by the team; provide expert input into and deliver creative solutions to improve Crisis Action’s unique culture.
- Resource & Talent Management: Develop and lead an overall Talent Management Strategy / HR Lifecycle, including recruitment, onboarding, performance management, professional development, workforce, and succession planning; work with the Senior Management Team and office directors in ensuring high performance and advising on the application of special measures to address underperformance; build a pool of consultants and keep up to date so we can draw on external support as needed.
- Managing Performance & Reward: Provide strategic oversight and direction on Crisis Action’s Remuneration policy and practices; ensure Crisis Action’s compensation system is attractive for new talents, is fair, and helps retain existing staff; lead implementation of Crisis Action’s Compensation Policy and ensure it is regularly updated.
- Learning & Development: Help to drive a culture of constant learning and improvement; spot opportunities and needs for professional and personal development and ensure Crisis Action is cultivating superstars; identify relevant high standard external training programs; work with Senior Management Team and office directors to create internal training programs for the team to address knowledge and performance gaps and promote creativity.
- Employee Engagement & Experience: Lead on timely and important internal communications around organisational matters; assist with employee safety, welfare, wellness, and health; work with internal security lead to ensure predictive and responsive systems are in place to endure security of staff, offices, and assets.
- Lead HR Service Delivery: Drive implementation of HR related organisational projects and advise on areas for HR improvement; conduct research and analysis of organisational trends, including review of reports and metrics from the organisation’s Human Resource Information System(HRIS) or talent management system.
- Regulatory Compliance: Monitor employment legislation developments in the countries we operate in and ensure the organisation’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations as well as recommend best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
You will bring the following qualities to our team:
- A strong commitment to Crisis Action’s mandate
- Experience in human resources and organisational development or similar area
- Experience working with people from multiple countries and continents, cultures, personalities and across functions while also geographically disbursed
- Be an excellent project manager and hands on experience implementing multiple HR Projects
- Experience supporting organisational culture, process change, and championing employee engagement
- An understanding of the value of the organisational culture and how to promote it
- Good pragmatic judgment to lead a balance between flexibility and consistency in line with organisational priorities, policies, and values.
- Ability to innovate and devise ambitious ideas that inspire teams
- A good listener and empathizer
- Thrive as part of a team, servant leadership style, and great delegator
- Enjoy working in and building small, flexible teams and empowering action by others
- A reliable and organised leader who completed tasks in a timely and thorough manner
- Great project management and time management skills to efficiently juggle competing priorities
- High levels of professionalism, efficiency, and reliability Fluency in English (spoken) and excellent writing skills, meticulous, rigorous, and paying attention to detail
- Excellent administrative and information technology skills
And have a proven track record of the following
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in relevant fields
Nice to have on your CV
- Languages other than English, especially Arabic, French, Mandarin
- CIPD, SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly preferred
Salary: Competitive salary according to experience
Benefits: Excellent benefits package including pension, 25 days holiday increasing to 30 days after 3 years and 3 months paid sabbatical after 5 years of service.
Right to work: You must have the right to work in the country
DEI Commitment Statement: Crisis Action values and supports a diverse working environment and strongly encourages applications from women, people of colour, people with lived experience of conflict, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ and gender non-conforming people.
Please apply via our online system OR send you application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 06:01hrs GMT, Monday, 2nd of August 2021 sending the following documents: your CV or résumé, cover letter, and filling the Application Form below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. We regret that due to the volume of applications that we may receive, we will not respond individually to each applicant.