Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Senior Research & Policy Adviser is member of Amnesty International’s Research Standards and Practices Unit (RSPU), which is specialized team located within the Research and Advocacy Programme at the International Secretariat. RSPU is a multidisciplinary team of senior research policy advisers who come with extensive experience in human rights research. The team is charged with responsibly of ensuring the highest standards of methodological rigour and ethics in our human rights research and serves as one of Amnesty’s key hubs for innovation, experimentation and learning.
In addition to extensive opportunities to shape, contribute to, and engage in various exciting research projects across the Amnesty International movement, this role will have a unique scope to leave a lasting mark on the means, methods and norms relied upon in human rights research and investigations, for years to come.
Leading research standard setting, innovation and the development of cutting-edge methodologies; provide advice on research strategies and manage/support the management of research projects conducted at the International Secretariat or Sections (i.e. Amnesty national chapters); develop timely and responsive research policies and guidelines and monitor their implementation; develop and deliver core and advanced research training programmes; and contribute to the quality assurance process of research projects and outputs through reviews and comments on drafts.
Are you a researcher, in academia, a think-thank or with a human rights organization, with passion for human rights and interested with a yearlong opportunity to work with us? Are you someone with experience in mentoring, guiding, and teaching others about research ethics, standards, and methodologies? Do you possess a critical mindset and passion for innovation and experimentation? Are you good with numbers and quantitative data analysis? Then is an exciting job for you.
The ideal candidate will have strong critical mindset, extensive research experience, and demonstrated ability to detect and analyse complex patterns and trends. First-hand experience in conducting research, investigations and fact-finding missions, including field research, is essential, and strongly desirable if this experience is directly related to human rights research. The candidate should also have solid experience in designing and delivering research training programmes and strong skills to mentor and guide researchers. Experience in innovative approaches to investigations and fact finding missions, such as the use and adaptation of technical, scientific, and forensic techniques is strongly desirable. Familiarity or expertise in the applications of data science and quantitative analysis is a plus.
Importantly, at this critical juncture in the struggle for human rights, equality and justice, an ideal candidate will come with an agenda—one that serves to strengthen the work of human rights activists globally and seeks to strengthen the research practices of human rights organizations.
- Advises, trains and mentors research staff in the International Secretariat and Sections of Amnesty International on research standards, methodologies, and appropriate research communication tools. Monitors the implementation of these standards and adopts strategies for achieving adherence where gaps are identified.
- Provides sustained support to researchers and research managers in one or more Regional Offices of Amnesty International, including through regular interactions, mentorship and advice on research strategies and outputs.
- Develops and implements standards and procedures for research staff to follow, including through devising or updating internal research policies and guidelines, in order to strengthen the overall quality of research at Amnesty.
- Develops and advises on guidelines on conduct of field research, including by participating in and mentoring others during research missions.
- Contributes to quality assurance process of research outputs, including by acting as reviewer or approver of drafts, checking, and advising on rigour of methodology, analysis, presentation of findings and the formulation of recommendations.
- Identify short and long-term training needs, design and deliver core and specialised research training programmes to staff. This includes developing online modules and other training materials and resources.
- As required, manage research projects working with staff in other programmes and offices of Amnesty International, including by conducting primary research and drafting research outputs.
- Provide, as necessary, flexible management cover for research teams in Regional Offices and Global Programs, coordinating and overseeing research projects.
- Represents the organization externally, including with media, government officials, NGOs, academic and research institutes.
- Carries out own administrative tasks related to the post in accordance with internal guidelines on self-servicing; participates as necessary in cross-programme project teams; and carries out other project task as required.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive and progressive experience in conducting and managing fact-finding, investigative and research projects, including those that involve field work, ideally in the area of human rights. Sound knowledge of research methodologies and of the design, implementation and evaluation of research projects.
- Advanced qualification in or sound understanding and experience in applying the human rights legal framework and norms for research and investigations.
- Excellent and demonstrated oral and written communication skills in English, with substantial experience of drafting and editing communication, policy or research outputs, including longer reports.
- Relevant expertise and ample experience in designing and delivering training programmes on research methodologies, standards and practices and ability to mentor research professionals and their managers,
- Experience in developing organizational policies and guidelines related to research standards, good practices, and methodologies,
- Experience in employing innovative approaches to investigations and fact findings, such as the use and adaptation of technical, scientific, and forensic techniques is desirable. Familiarity or expertise in the applications of data science or quantitative analysis is a plus.
- Experience of managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines, and adjusting priorities; ability and willingness to travel (Covid-19 related travel restrictions and risks permitting).
- Ability and willingness to undertake personal administrative tasks in accordance with internal guidelines on self-servicing.
- Fluency in other languages such as Spanish or French is an advantage.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. And whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them a combination of attractive and sector competitive salary, benefits packages and employee development opportunities.
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role’ below.
Amnesty International is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.