Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
We are currently looking to hire a dynamic professional to join our team as EA Area Legal Manager in Nairobi.
He/she will report to the Head of Legal for IMEA and will be overall responsible for legal and compliance for all Maersk entities within Eastern Africa Area countries including, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Sudan. Manager of one (1) legal counsel.
Proactive business partner for Area and Country management and commercial functions. Flagging risks with a commercial and pragmatic approach towards problem solving. Coming up with initiatives to improve the legal service offering.
An exciting career opportunity in an international, challenging business setting characterized by high pace and diversity.
You will get to focus on creating valuable relations and work with highly-professional teams in an environment where you will be valued, recognized and well-rewarded.
Moreover, you will expand your business network and enrich your market and product knowledge while contributing to the continuous success of the Eastern Africa Area.
• Proactive business partner for local management and flagging risks with a commercial and pragmatic approach towards problem solving.
• Responsible for the developing legal strategy in the area and to create policies and procedures to make the legal support more efficient/effective in the area.
• Responsible for handling and overseeing of litigation in the area.
• Responsible for engagement and managing of external legal counsel, including legal budget.
• Advice and support on drafting of contracts and other legal documents.
• Advising on various engagements (written or oral) with authorities.
• Supporting other internal stakeholders on legal matters such as Human Resources, HSSE and procurement.
• Track and provide a quarterly report on all legal cases/matters
• Ensure that all court disputes are reduced and out of court settlement encouraged
• Ensuring that Maersk is properly represented in all court cases
• Receiving and replying all letters from lawyers and regulators
• Advising the company on all legal matters
• Educating the company on compliance
• Liaising with all external lawyers to ensure timely representation
• Advising and facilitating the due process in Company searches and other government enquiries.
• Support the claims team with legal guidance on claims received by Maersk.
• Supporting debt collection team with litigation for outstanding claims.
• Support on corporate secretarial matters such as board meetings, appointments, corporate resolutions etc.
• Advising the company on all compliance issues and ensuring all statutory and regulatory laws are complied with (file statutory returns, ensuring the proper use of the company seal, etc).
We are looking for
• A minimum Master’s degree in Law.
• Mastery of OHADA commercial law, Shipping law and transport experience will be an advantage
• A minimum 5 years’ experience as in-house counsel in a multi-national company or in private practice at a reputable firm (or both). Having managed other people will be an advantage.
• Having worked as legal professional in the Eastern Africa Area;
• Fluent in English
Last application date: 29/8/2021