In 2021, the DAFI (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative) scholarship programme’s cash-based interventions (CBI) component shifted from partner to direct implementation. The DAFI scholarship programme offers refugee students the opportunity to earn an undergraduate degree in their country of asylum. Through the dedicated support of the governments of Germany, Denmark, and the Czech Republic, UNHCR and private donors, the programme has supported more than 18,000 young refugees to undertake tertiary studies since 1992. In Kenya, approximately 500 students are currently supported under the programme.
The CBI Data Management Associate is supervised by the Programme CBI Officer. S/he performs a variety of functions related to cash assistance activities within the office. The supervisor defines work processes and provides regular advice and guidance.
The incumbent will assist in data management, data analysis, data visualization, and documentation related to the CBI component of the programme. This role is critical in ensuring the timeliness and accuracy of cash assistance provided to UNHCR’s persons of concern.
– Data management of the CBI related activities of the programme, including accurate tracking of beneficiary details (name, database ID, telephone numbers, age, etc.), registration status, bank account details, assistance records, payment request status, and other relevant details. This includes updating/developing of a CBI related database for tracking purposes.
– Data management of the institutions and course information as well as follow-up on payments made to the universities and colleges
– Training of partners and UNHCR staff on data management and ensuring data accuracy/quality of data when sharing data between organizations/units
– Verification of payment lists to ensure accuracy of names, proGres (UNHCR database) individual and group IDs, phone numbers, payment amounts, etc. and ensuring no duplications of assistance take place prior to approval/payment
– Prepare CBI data for data visualization platforms (PowerBI) and CBI related reports/factsheets
– Create CBI related dynamic data visualizations in PowerBI
– Support in CBI post-distribution monitoring (PDM) processes, including scripting of forms (Kobo Toolbox) and analysis of data for PDM reports
– Assist in development of forms for data collection and analysis, if requested
– Ensure data shared between relevant UNHCR units (CBI, Education, Finance, Programme, Supply, Information Management, Protection and Registration) and with partners is standardized, regularly updated, accurate and reliable
– Ensure documentation (requisitions, purchase orders, approvals, payment requests, confirmation of payments from financial service provider, etc.) related to CBI is regularly and accurately filed in the shared file system
– Support in creating/updating templates related to CBI payments and reconciliation processes
– Perform other related duties as required.
– Ensure CBI databases are updated daily
– Ensure CBI documentation is regularly filed in the shared file system
– Assist in the development of forms/tools for data collection
– Analysis of CBI related data (PDM, assessments payment records, processes to improve timeliness of assistance, etc.)