Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Department: Critical Care Unit
Entity: Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi is a private not-for-profit teaching hospital that provides tertiary and secondary level healthcare services. It is the first hospital in East Africa to be accredited by the Joint Commission International from the USA. The University Hospital has been providing high quality care for the people of East Africa and beyond for over 60 years.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the above position based in Nairobi Kenya. The position holder will report to the Nurse Manager, Critical Care Department.
- Complete assessment and re-assessment of patients to identify their care needs.
- Develop written care plans based on patients changing needs, monitor and evaluate effectiveness of interventions
- Initiate cardiac monitoring both room and central, be able to interpret monitor trends and communicate critical changes to the physician and Nurse manager
- Carry out other hemodynamic monitoring to include CVP, ICP, neurological and fluid status; lab, radiological and ABG evaluations
- Document all assessment data, investigation results, care given, discussions with the multidisciplinary team, family/patient interactions in an accurate, comprehensive and timely manner
- Prepare for and assist the physician in emergency procedures necessary for prompt control of patient’s condition e.g. intubation, insertion of invasive lines and drains
- Initiates mechanical ventilation (invasive and non-invasive) based on physician orders
- Assess patient’s readiness for weaning and implement the weaning and extubation protocols
- Maintain adequate airway management to include oxygen therapy, nebulization and suctioning
- Perform pain assessment and initiate analgesia as per protocol
- Be able to perform hemodialysis as instructed, care for patient undergoing hemodialysis and disconnect patient from the Hemodialysis upon completion of the therapy
- Accurately administer all medication as per the treatment order sheet. Particular attention is drawn to inotropic support: dilution, calculation and infusion
- Identify patient and family education needs and implement appropriate teaching
- Be able to commence enteral feeds as prescribed, assess absorption and elimination and give feedback as appropriate
- Be able to recognize a patient in a pre- arrest or arrest states, and to activate Emergency Response Team and actively participate in the resuscitation of the patient
- Provide safe environment for patients through adherence to infection control practices and other safety policies, and perform timely safety checks on beds, IV pumps, oxygen source, ventilators and cardiac monitors.
- Be accountable for judicious and efficient use of resources i.e. accurate and timely billing of ward stock drugs and consumables
- Care for equipment through proper cleaning, storage, per shift check of the inventory and timely reporting and follow up of nonfunctional equipment to the nurse manager
- Participate in unit based nursing education, quality improvement (QI) projects, clinical care program certification (CCPC), audits, spot checks and skill checks
- Participate in orientation of new staff and provide mentorship to junior nurses and students
- Participate in unit based nursing education, quality improvement (QI) projects, audits, spot checks and skill checks
- Assist in other related Critical Care Units in time of low census
- Any other assignment that is deemed appropriate for this level
- Higher Diploma in Critical Care Nursing from a recognized school of nursing or University
- Current license with the Nursing Council of Kenya
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Demonstrate evidence based knowledge of current practices in Critical Care nursing
How To Apply