Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Overall purpose of the role:
In the East Africa and Great Lakes (EAGL) region, DRC responds to the needs of displacement and conflicted affected populations in nine countries, with more than 1900 national and international DRC staff, operating within a regional structure based mainly in Nairobi, Kenya but with some regional positions based in other countries within EAGL. DRC EAGL also hosts the Mixed Migration Centre, Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (East Africa), Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (Great Lakes) and the Borderlands Knowledge Hub.
The Regional Human Resources and Administration Manager is responsible for ensuring that DRC’s human resource management strategy and functions are carried out effectively across the region. The Regional HR & Administration Manager will lead and manage Human Resources functions, provide overall advice, coordination and management to the Human Resources and Administration teams as well as technical Human Resources support to the field offices. Ensure efficient support to the regional (RO) and country operations (CO) in accordance with existing DRC policies and procedures.
- Lead and manage the Human Resources and Admin team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Provide technical support, advice and capacity build the Human Resources and Administration teams at CO level
- Support the recruitment of senior HR positions at Country level
- Build the capacity of the HR staff throughout the operation through frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
Recruitment, onboarding and learning
- Advise and assist managers in Human Resources issues related to recruitment, development and people planning
- Drive and support recruitment and selection activities ensuring compliance with recruitment policies
- Work with senior management team and senior staff on staff retention strategies and initiatives at country, regional and global level
- Ensure proper induction and onboarding process: Ensure adequate induction and onboarding is provided for new staff at regional and country level, based on relevant DRC policies and guidelines, as well as region and/or country specific requirements.
- Ensure oversight and consistency in position titles and grades, across all field locations
- Assist managers to identify, recommend and approve Learning & Development initiatives for their employees through DRC’s Learning Catalogue.
Performance, well-being, compensation & benefits
- Proactively respond to and manage performance, counselling, employee grievances and disciplinary issues as required, with a focus on building manager competency and ensuring that documentation is kept
- Lead the performance management process
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labour regulations and requirements
- Lead people well-being initiatives
- Define and review salary structure in partnership with the Senior Management team at CO and RO level and coordinate annual compensation review process and compensation adjustments.
Human Resources Policies and Support
- Maintain and update Staff Human Resources Handbooks as necessary
- Proactively pursue continuous process improvement in Human Resources related practices in order to enhance the quality and efficiency of output/delivery.
- Work closely with HQ and Country offices to share information and provide support as required
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
- Supervise the Admin Team Leader to ensure effective and efficient management of office administration policies, systems and procedures including
- Ensure an up-to-date database of contracts to track rental instalments due, notice periods, renewals, deposits and municipality tax payments is maintained and in coordination with the officers, have all the contracts (property, office rentals, international staff housing) are prepared/extended on time.
- In coordination with HR officers, ensure that benefits are duly explained to employees and serve as liaison between employees and respective insurance company.
- Ensure that pre and post-paid phone lines are issued and managed in accordance with DRC policies.
- Ensure efficient controlling and issuance of keys for offices and guest houses, ID cards and entry and exit procedures for all staff.
- Manage orientation process and arrivals checklist for new staff and ensure support for all new staff and visitors with travel and accommodation.
- In coordination with officers, ensure a regular supply and tracking of usage of office stationery and supplies, cleaning and kitchen products.
- Support Regional Office in conducting Code of Conduct trainings and Investigations.
- Any other task as may be required by the Line Manager.
This position reports to the Regional Head of Support Services
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies
- Relevant Masters Degree
- Professional training in Human Resources Management
- A minimum of 7 years relevant experience in HR management, with additional experience in administration, change management, and/or organizational development beneficial
- Experience in HR business partnering to mid or senior-level managers
- At least 3 years’ experience in people management
- Ability to develop clear goals and identify priority activities and assignments
- Demonstrated experience in the use of ERP systems
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Proven ability to manage large and varied workloads, and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Pro-active, stable and robust character and a good team-player
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Proficiency in French is beneficial
Contract: Four months’ contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for National staff in the respective country. This position is graded at Employment Band M.F
Availability: October 2021
Duty station: Nairobi, Goma, Bujumbura, Kampala or Djibouti
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on http://www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please submit your application and CV in English by 12 September 2021.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!