Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
TITLE: Health Coodinator
CONTRACT LENGTH: One year with possibility of extension.
Reports to: Operations Manager
Staff reporting to this post:
Direct: Health Officers (2)
Budget Responsibilities: (oversightup 1,000,000 USD budget allocated for the projects)
The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently or intensively because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing .
The post holder will be responsible for overseeing implementation of three health project as follows: Partnership for child survival implemented in Kibera and Mathare Urban informal settlement wih the goal of accelerating reduction of childhood mortality and morbidity implemented through health care facility and community health volunteers and community health assistant.;Pnuemonia in urban slums a project with the goal of contributing to reduction of childhood morbidility and mortality by improving pneumonia case managemented by developing an evidence based model that can be replicated. This project is implemted in partnership with KEPRICON and Reducing Infectious Disease in Children Under Age 5 in Kenya, a project aimed at increas immunization coverage to contribute to decreases in the incidence of immunizable infectious disease in children in under-age-5 mortality in Nairobi urban informal settlement, Wajir and Mandera Counties.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
To contribute to reduction of childhood morbidilty and mortality. The post holder will technical and management leadership to ensure quality health iterventions. He/She will contributes to the achievement of projects’ objectives within the planned timescale, budget and scope. Key important areas of accountability include; budget management, project implementation, stakeholder management, capacity building of staff and partners through appropriate supervision, training and technical support, contributing to monitoring, evaluation, and reporting on project progress
Role Dimensions: The health Coordinator will work with the health programme team and field management team, related line ministries and community structures and other sectors to accomplish the overall goal of the programme. High complexity in terms of technical assistance to the SCHMT, medium complexity in terms of rollout of the new ICCM model, as well as oversign Monitoring and Evaluation of all the programmes assigned.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Effectively coordinate community health and facility-based aspects of programme intervention for synergy and to address Child health issues indentified in the three projects.
- Coordinate with the MOPHS/MOMS and other stakeholders to ensure that the programme remains in line with national priorities and strategies, does not duplicate efforts and attains sustainability.
- Provide effective technical support to county government counterparts and implementing partners in child health strategies applicable in the projects.
- Organizing and coordinating training and capacity building initiatives for SCHMT, CHAs and CHVs.
- Establish and sustain working relationships with government departments and stakeholders relevant to the programme’s focus area at Sub County and County levels.
- Participate in the documentation and dissemination of this learning, both internally and externally, to ensure that good practice is understood and adopted and that creative debate and information exchange is encouraged.
- Provide technical support and guidance on key program approaches for immunization and iCCM, including sustainable approaches to mentoring health care workers, CHAs and CHVs.
- Monitor the implementation partner related work plan to ensure that activities are executed according to the work plan.
- Represent Save the Children at meetings with other NGOs, UN Organizations, S Ministry of Health officials at county and sub-county level.
- Ensure that all work undertaken is child focused and contributes to the achievement of the programme sector strategy objectives and outcome indicators
- Provide overall leadership, and oversee the implementation of the three projects assigned.
- Ensure budget spending according to approved budgets, review and analyses budgets versus actual expenditures and take remedial measures.
- Actively participate in the preparation of the project work plan, budgets, and technical reports for submission to the member and donor.
- Prepare and oversee project implementation to ensure timely delivery of project activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- In Collaboration with the field based staff, prepare annual and quarterly work plans and ensure that program activities are implemented as planned and within the approved budget.
- Work with Programme Managers and technical specialist to prepare donor Project reports.
- Contribute to the production of the overall quarterly and annual reports as well as donor reports prepared by the programme.
- Build capacity of the staff in specific areas of deliveries and ensure on the job mentoring and coaching sessions are conducted for high performance.
- Ensure routine monitoring of indicators as per schedule developed together with partners toghther with Child Health TA and Awards colleagues.
Monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL)
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team to ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of programme activities including preparation of monitoring reports and mainstreaming accountability mechanisms.
- Conducting regular field monitoring visits to ensure quality programme implementation
- Reviewing and sharing periodic project reports including trip reports, distribution reports, activity reports, weekly reports, monthly and quarterly donor reports
- Lead and ensure documentation and sharing of case studies, success stories or human interest stories
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- A basic University degree in Public Health or Nursing sciences with a post graduate degree in Public Health or related fields Field experience in the related fields may be considered in lieu of a post graduate degree. .
- Minimum five (5) years post-training relevant mix of professional work experience in Child health programmes. Experience in mobilizing communities for health and development with Nairoibi urban informal settlement of Kenyan added advantage.
- Three years experience in budget holding role.
- Experience working with the Kenya Community Health Strategy
- Demonstrable commitment to tackling social determinants of health and health inequalities, with a strong focus on equity in health and development, ensuring right of access to health for the poorest and marginalized.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Understanding of social relations and commitment to integrate gender, diversity and other power related issues into programme activities.
- Experience in facilitating trainings to health personnel
- Experience of working with participatory methodologies (involving children).
- Experience of working collaboratively with local government.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to write clear and well structured reports in English.
- Ability to be self sufficient and resourceful.
- Ability to plan and organise work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to train, motivate a team, and work with others in a collaborative framework.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
- Willingness to commit to Save the Children’s Child Protection Policy.
- Willingness to work in rural districts
- Competance with Microsft office packages
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures
How To Apply